3:Ooh Child

As a usual morning, I walk into the campus cafe and order myself a tall cinnamon latte, and it's not Fred who is at the counter like always, it's the lady who is always doing the drinks. "That'll be $1.70 please", she said. I pulled out two bucks out of my purse and give it to her, I look around and I see no Fred around cleaning the tables or even sweeping. "Is Fred off today?", I asked the lady out of curiosity. She looked at me with a raised eyebrow, "You know Fred?", at the thought of that, I don't actually know Fred but why am I asking about him? I only know his name from his name tag on his shirt, "he usually takes my order", I answered. She tilt her head back and said, "oh you're that kind of girl, well sorry, your usual guy quit last week so I'll be taking your orders now so better get used to it". She walked away to the barista area to make my coffee.

I look at her with utter confusion and thought, usual guy? What in the hell is she talking about? I'm alright with her taking my orders, I'm just wondering where Fred is? 

"There you go princess", she said and handing my morning coffee.  "Thanks", I replied bluntly but still do not understand what's her angle on this? As I walked out of the cafe to sit outside, I realized that she thought of me like one of those high-maintenance girls who has their own coffee person and get so irritated if their preferred guy is not there, well that's insulting. I wonder what gave that away? I'm wearing a sweater for God's sakes, not a Miumiu blazer on top of a DKNY blouse. I sit down at my usual spot, and wondering where Fred could've gone? I mean, it's a good thing that he left this wretched coffee house and go do something bigger and better, but knowing that the only person that ever talked to me without wincing or a dead stare has left, the atmosphere feels more lonely than it used to be. 

I put on my earphones and switch on Spotify and tap on the Soulful Morning playlist. Great classic tunes to boost me up and actually help me to get through of losing Fred, in a way? I mentally wish him all the best, cause even just taking my orders and reminding me that I was late for class and every smile he threw at me, he made my day a bit better whether he knows it or not. 

---------------------------------------------

Personal tutorial class today is a drag, cause the lecturer has us making an exercise where we have to go around and talk to a person for at least 3 minutes, apparently we have to learn how to network around and yeah, I agree that network is fundamental but what happens when I want to connect but the receiving server detects that I'm like a virus and activates it's anti-virus and literally not giving me a chance. First I talk to this girl who's doing a different course, and I asked her how was her weekend and she said she went to this rad party and having a good time and when she asked me what did I do, all I can tell is the truth where I stayed in and doing some catching up on netflix. She just stares at me and wondering what to talk about next, and there's just awkward silence. When time is up I go onto talking onto another girl and she seems lovely and she said she's a total couch potato and I ask her what shows she watch, and she mentions these reality shows, and when I tell her what are my preferred shows, she goes all blank and doesn't know a thing I'm talking about. I thought when they put an advert saying, 'hottest show on television right now', everyone would actually watch it but apparently, no. Ugh, such luck. 

When my time with Ms.Reality Show here is up, I just stand there and wait for someone to come to me cause I actually feel done cause obviously no one wants to talk to me. I look at everyone and they're having conversations and smiling and the only thing missing is champagne glasses in their hands and proper outfit for a cocktail party. "Hi", I turn my head finding this guy with the biggest grin I have ever seen, it looks a bit creepy but he's just being extra-friendly I guess? I smile awkwardly, "hi there". 

"You're from around here?", he asked and he's actually talking to me and not to be superficial but he's really good looking and why isn't he talking to any other good looking girls here? 

"Er, just a few hours away from here. Y-you?", still surprised with what's going on here and it feel kind of silly if I feel starstruck by a total stranger. "Apparently", he chuckles. I smile sheepishly and I can't help feeling like a dork that could not actually initiate a conversation with him, but maybe I can but I just don't want to say some silly thing that could push him away. "So how was your weekend?", he asked and yeah, I've got to make up something cause if he knows how boring I am, he would just walk away and never come back again, but I'm really not good at lying. It took me so long to answer, he said, "I stayed-in, I had so much work last week, I just stayed in my room and just stayed there for the whole weekend and might I say, it was a great recharge", he smiled and chuckled and somehow does not care if he sounds silly. Sounding surprised, "I did that too, didn't go out of the room unless I'm hungry, other than that, I'm like in my own little man-cave". 

Then there was silence, I blew it! My words has failed me once again,  I said too much. Who says man-cave anymore? "That's cute", he said and I look at him as if my eyes were bulging out, "what?", I questioned. He looked at me and said, "your man-cave, I find it's cute that you have your own little man-cave, interesting even". Then the timer rings, and for once I wasn't glad that the 3-minutes are up. Before he walked away, he nods his head and said, "nice talking to you". I just muttered, "you too", and taken my seat. Well that was the most surprising event of my life. 

As I walk out of the building, down the stairs, I immediately put my earphones on as if it was a habit and Smokey Robinson was on, he really knows how to melt a girl's heart and I don't care how old he is, he's got persona. As I walk and enjoying these soulful tunes, I can feel someone breathing into my neck. I jump sideways, and surprised there's actually standing so close to me. "WHAT THE FUCK, MAN?", then I realized I just curse to the nicest guy in the class just now. 

He put his hands up with a worried face, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you. I just didn't catch your name". Now I'm worried, he catches up on me just to get my name, so I asked him that and yeah, I realized how pathetic it is. "You catch up on me just to know what my name is?". He nods his head, "yeah, do I sound creepy? Okay, but standing so close to you might seem creepy but it's just when I try calling you out, you didn't hear me and I realize that you had your earphones in". 

"You did? I'm so sorry, I didn't realize that someone actually was screaming out for me?", I apologized for some reason. "It's alright. At least I got your attention, and err...I'm Dylan..Dylan Jones", he extends his hand. I shake my head from the fascination on how a beautiful guy just came over to me and introduced himself and his name is as beautiful as he looks. I shook his hand, "Lyla, Lyla Gort". He tried to hold in his laugh and I know my last name has that effect on people. It made me sound like an ogre, and instead of him making fun of my name, he said, "that just goes to show that you shouldn't judge a person by it's name. Cause Lyla Gort, you certainly don't look how your name sounds".

Again, I can feel my eyes bulging. I'm speechless and he takes a look at his watch, "I've gotta run, but nice talking to you Lyla Gort", he smiles and walked away. "You too", I muttered. I turn around and continue on listening to music, and as a good friend, Spotify knows what I'm feeling and has the tunes to back it up, Ooh Child by  the Five Stairsteps.

Ooh-oo child
Things'll get be brighter
Ooh-oo child
Things are gonna be easier
Ooh-oo child
Things'll get be brighter

Some day, yeah
We'll get it together and we'll get it all done
Some day
When your head is much lighter
Some day, yeah
We'll walk in the rays of a beautiful sun
Some day
When the world is much brighter
Some day, yeah

Well, that was the most surprising day of my life. 

-----------------------------------------------------

a/n: I really like this chapter and I hope you guys like it too! Please comment and tell me how you guys find it? 

Much lovess!