One

Mitch knocked politely on his own door, before opening it slowly to reveal Scott sitting on the edge of his bed.

Mitch smiled widely as he walked in, closing the door behind him. "Hi! How are you?"

Scott just shrugged, looking back down at the floor.

Mitch skipped over and sat down on the bed beside him, taking Scott's arm and pulling it over himself, forcing Scott to hug his shoulders. "One of the nurses told me we're getting a newbie today! I'm pretty sure he'll be in the Red Group with us. So.. Now there will be five of us. But he could be a Yellow, I don't know..."

Scott nodded a few times, listening attentively to the small boy, as always.

Mitch giggled at something, and then turned to look at Scott. "Lunch is in an hour or so. I'm excited! Do I seem too excited? Because I was trying not to be."

Scott just smiled, causing Mitch to burrow into Scott's side for his comfort.

Mitch smiled to himself. "Tell me how pretty I am."

Scott quietly spoke for the first time. "Gorgeous."

Mitch giggled adorably. "Thank you!"

One of the nurses knocked on their door, and opened it slowly, smiling widely at the two boys. "Good morning."

Mitch sat up straight and waved at her. "Good morning! Hi, Stacy! How are you?"

"I'm doing well, Mitchell. How about you?"

Mitch gasped and smiled at her concern. "I'm great, thanks!"

Stacy walked over with a small container with pills in it.

A short woman followed Stacy in the room, and she quietly took a seat on the other side of Scott.

Mitch didn't fail to notice her, however. "Hi, Kirstie! Did you sleep alright last night? Do you sleep at all anymore, or are the nightmares too--"

Scott squeezed his hand tightly, which Mitch knew meant that he needed to stop talking.

Mitch bit his lip and frowned. "I'm sorry. That was..." He looked to Scott. "Rude?"

Scott nodded once, before looking away to the nurse.

Stacy was handing Kirstie her medication as well as a small, plastic cup of water. "I'm just distributing your pills for the day, you three. I'll be back for those of you who have some later in the day. And also, don't forget about lunch in a little while."

Mitch giggled. "I could never forget about lunch! And I wouldn't leave Scottie here all by himself!"

Stacy smiled at him while she handed Scott his medications as well. "I know, hun."

Scott took his pills quickly, and then watched Stacy hand Mitch his pills as well.

Mitch stared at Stacy's hand. "Where's your wedding ring? It was so pretty. Did someone take it from you? Did your husband decide to--"

Scott squeezed his hand again.

Mitch's eyes flashed over to him. "Oh no. I'm sorry, Stacy!"

Stacy just forced a smile, trying not to think about her recent divorce. "No, that's alright. You didn't mean anything by it."

Kirstie stood up to leave, and Mitch stood up too, taking his meds as quick as he could. "Do you know where Kevin is?"

"Probably talking to his new roommate. He's another one of us, I think."

Stacy walked out of the room stealthily while they conversed.

Mitch tilted his head. "Us? Oh, you mean the Reds?"

She nodded. "At least, that's as far as I know. He could be--"

"Where's Jake?"

Kirstie stopped her sentence, regrouping for a second before responding. "He should be outside with Alex. I mean, if Alex was awake enough for it."

Scott nodded slowly, understanding what she was saying.

Mitch smiled widely, turning to Scott. "I'm gonna go say hi to Jakey! Want to come?"

Scott just shook his head and smiled at him, kissing his hand before Mitch ran off.

Kirstie shook her head at him. "I'm worried that the newbie won't like him... And you know how Mitch gets when people don't like him."

Scott nodded slowly, but reached out to touch her hand, trying to reassure her that it would be okay.

Kirstie nodded. "I know, I know. I'm overthinking it."

Scott tried to clear his throat. "What's... Wrong with him?"

"The newbie? I think he has a severe eating disorder or something. I heard the nurses saying he'd eat a specially prepared meal every day."

Scott nodded once, and then Kirstie reached her hand out for him, to help him stand and then walk into the hallway.

Mitch skipped outside, where he saw Alex and Jake standing in the garden.

Mitch ran over and hugged Jake, and then turned to smile at Alex. "You're the one that doesn't sleep, right?"

Alex looked offended, but gave him the benefit of the doubt. "I guess you could say that."

Mitch had already jumped to a new subject though. "Did you hear about the new guy? He's rooming with Kevin."

Jake tilted his head a little, but squatted down to straighten one of the flowers. "A newcomer? In the Reds or the Yellows?"

"Yellow probably." Mitch replied offhandedly.

Jake straightened it again, and frowned when the flower refused to do as he wanted. "What's his illness?"

Mitch gasped and grabbed one of the flowers, pulling it out of the ground. "I bet Scott would love this!"

Jake stood up and tapped his shoulder, not wanting to get off topic. "Mitch, answer my question."

"Oh. Sorry. Um. Eating disorder I think? They're usually in the Yellows, aren't they?"

"It kind of depends." Jake replied.

Alex eyed Mitch curiously, not quite sure what that boy was all about, yet.

Jake looked down to his watch, and then back up at Alex. "It's time to go inside."

Mitch continued to smile. "Why? It can't be lunchtime yet."

"It's just time to go."

Jake left with those words, Alex trailing behind him.

Mitch just shrugged and then smelled the flower he was holding.

He looked to his left, where he could see some of the guards hanging out around the fence that surrounded the building.

Kevin walked into the garden, smiling at Mitch. "Hello, Mitch."

Mitch turned and smiled widely. "Hi, Kev! Want a flower?"

"I don't think you're supposed to pick those..."

Mitch shrugged. "That's okay."

"What if you get in trouble?"

Mitch giggled. "Don't be silly. I got it for Scott! They won't be mad at me for that."

"How can you know that for sure, though? What if they put you in that padded room?"

"They won't."

"Why not?"

"Because a flower is only a small sacrifice for something as beautiful as love."

***