Nine

Mitch walked through the garden, until he got to the small hill, with a large tree on top of it, just near the outskirts of the campus.

Scott was sitting on the ground, staring at the grass.

Mitch walked up behind him and then sat down next to Scott. "Hi."

Scott smiled a little, and then frowned again.

Mitch grabbed his upper arm, and leaned into his side a little. "Hey now. Don't be sad. You shouldn't ever have to be embarrassed around us. We're your family. And we love you."

Scott shrugged, and looked back down to the ground.

Mitch tried again. "I know... You're afraid to talk sometimes. But honestly...? There's nothing I like to hear more, than your voice. No one judges you when you speak. Nobody. Not even the new guy."

Scott shrugged again.

Mitch sighed. "Fine. If you're not going to speak, then at least show me you care with actions."

"I always do." Scott mumbled.

"Prove it."

...

"Kiss me."

Scott turned his head, and blinked at him.

Mitch frowned deeply and tried to stand up. "Fine."

But Scott grabbed his arm, and then pulled him into his own body roughly to hug him.

Mitch fell over a little, falling on Scott so that he was laying on top of him.

Mitch braced himself with his arms, holding himself over Scott for a second, before he finally gave in and leaned down to kiss him.

Scott kissed back, both hands on Mitch's face.

Mitch moved away slowly, and stared into Scott's bright blue eyes. "You don't have to speak. I always know what you're thinking by looking into your eyes."

Scott tilted his head skeptically.

"I don't know if that's just how you decided to communicate since you don't really do it verbally... But I can always tell how you're feeling by looking at these." He tapped the side of Scott's head, right beside his eye.

Scott smiled and hugged him once more, forcing Mitch to drop down on top of him again.

Mitch sighed a little. "I wish you talked more. I want to hear you make stupid jokes. And I want to hear you complain. I want to hear you compliment me. I want to hear you order food. I just... Want you to talk to me."

"Sorry." Scott tried, avoiding Mitch's eyes.

"Maybe I can teach you how to talk."

"I know how."

"Then why don't you do it? You answer in short, simple phrases."

"Scared."

"Scared of what? What on Earth do you need to be scared of? Especially around me?" Mitch questioned exasperatedly.

"Judgement..." Scott mumbled.

"I wouldn't ever judge you. You know that."

Scott shrugged and looked out into the distance.

"Scott. Please listen to me when I say--"

The announcer interupted him, telling them that it was time for the Red's group meeting.