Twenty Five

Kirstie hugged Avi back, although she wasn't really sure why. "Avi? Are you okay?"

"I... I'm really really sorry about your parents."

"Oh... It's, um... It's okay." She responded uneasily.

Avi moved back to meet her eyes. "No it isn't. If there is anything I can do to help... Anything at all..."

"Thank you. That's sweet of you."

Avi moved away, and then looked at Kevin, who was sitting on the bed, the book still in his hands.

Avi sat down on the other bed, and smiled. "Hey Kit... Mind if I listen too?"

Kirstie sat beside him and held his hand. "Not at all."

Scott and Mitch were in their room, hanging out until dinner.

Scott was laying on the bed, Mitch in his arms, while Scott ran one of his hands up and down Mitch's upper arm lightly.

Mitch's smile never left his face. "This is my favorite part... The only thing that makes having episodes bearable."

Scott tilted his head a little, meeting Mitch's eyes.

"If that's a questioning look, all I mean is... I.. I don't mind the episodes, because I know you'll always be there when I come back. And I know... That you'll always be here to hold me until I feel better."

Scott grinned at him, and leaned forward to kiss his forehead, before tucking Mitch into his chest again.

"You're such a teddy bear. I hope I'm the only person that ever gets to know how cuddly you are."

Jake walked into their room all of a sudden, knocking on the wall to get their attention. "Hey, sorry to bother you... Have you seen Alex? When you guys went off to group, he just, like... Disappeared."

Mitch wiggled a little to free himself from Scott enough to see Jake. "No. He hasn't come by. But.. If I see him, I'll tell him you're looking."

"Thank you. Just... Have him go to our room or something. I've been looking for him for like ten minutes."

"It's not like there are many places he could go." Mitch said, looking over at Scott.

Scott leaned toward him to whisper. "Garden."

Mitch's eyes widened and he looked back to Jake. "Oh! Did you check the garden? He loves it out there."

"That was my next guess. I'll let you know if I find him." And then he was gone.

Mitch frowned, and looked back to Scott. "Where would he go? He and Jake are always together."

Scott just stared at him, truly not knowing.

Mitch shrugged, and then cuddled back into Scott as close as he could get. "Whatever. That's enough worrying for one day. More snuggles please."

Scott smiled again, wrapping his arms tighter around Mitch and kissing the top of his head.

Jake wandered outside, and he quickly made a lap around the grass, past the hill, through the garden... Alex was still nowhere to be found.

Jake was about to panic, and maybe ask a nurse or administrator, when he saw one of the other Yellows walking through the garden, and he walked over quickly.

She didn't notice him at first, as she bent to look at one of the flowers with a wide smile.

Jake spoke quietly so he wouldn't startle her. "Hey, Megg... Did you see where Alex went after Group?"

Meghan stood quickly, looking to him with worried eyes. "I thought he went with one of the counselors. Didn't he?"

"I mean.. Maybe. I don't know. I never saw him leave, I thought he was right behind me. That's why I asked."

"Oh, I see. I'm sure he won't take long. And at the very least you'll see him at dinner, so. I wouldn't worry."

"Thanks." He gave her a smile, before turning and walking away.

He walked slowly, until he turned around to see that Meghan wasn't looking anymore, and then he walked a lot faster.

Jake entered the dormitory hallway once more, finding his specific hall quickly. As soon as he turned to walk down that hallway, he saw Alex wiping his eyes in front of their door, as if he was trying to dry his eyes completely before walking in the room.

Jake quickly reached him, and set a hand on his back. "Alex?"

Alex flinched, looked over, and then looked away immediately. "Sorry, hang on."

Jake frowned at him. "Why are you crying? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm alright."

Kirstie walked out into the hallway slowly. "Hey... Is something wrong?"

Alex shook his head, walking into the room quietly.

Jake turned to her. "I'll take care of it. Maybe ask him at dinner."

Kirstie nodded, and did just that.

She waited with Kevin and Avi, until it was finally time for dinner.

She hurried into the dining hall, and sat down beside Kevin at their table.

Scott and Mitch sat down right after her, Scott across from Kirstie and Mitch on his right.

Jake sat beside Kevin, and Alex sat in front of him, although Alex refused to make eye contact with anyone, and just went straight for his food.

Avi finally sat down, his healthy plate in front of him, sitting beside Kirstie with a smile.

Kirstie was relieved when they all sat down, and finally leaned across the table a little to speak to Alex. "So what happened? Why were you so sad?"

Jake put a hand on Alex's back, giving Kirstie a smile. "He got assigned a new counselor."

Mitch leaned over to look past Scott at Alex. "Why is that bad? Does that assign you a new group or something?"

"No, he's still one of the Yellows. But... I think they got off on the wrong foot."

Alex grumbled to add on. "He's an asshole, that's why."

Jake ran his fingernails up and down Alex's back gently, frowning at him. "Why do you say that?"

"He was like... Unnecessarily rude to me. And super, like.." He looked around the table, seeing them all staring at him, before he shook his head and looked back down. "I don't know."

Mitch leaned toward him even more. "Come on, Al. You can tell us."

Alex smiled a little. "Maybe later." He glanced up and looked around at the small number of nurses that were on the outskirts of the room just in case. A few counselors among them as well. 

Alex's eyes landed on the counselor that he was talking about, and he quickly looked down.

Jake hadn't noticed, and he looked over at Kevin. "Maybe after dinner we can just hang out in one of our rooms before lights out?"

As the others agreed and discussed that plan, Scott noticed Alex's eyes avoiding that particular counselor, and he figured it out, staring at the counselor for himself to make a mental note.

****