Twenty Eight

(A/N)

Hides because she knows she hasn't updated in a while :(

(She's sorry. And she loves you) 

********

After breakfast, that's exactly what they did.

However, Mitch had to go to visitation, along with Avi.

Kirstie and Kevin were on one of the beds, Kevin reading a book aloud, and Kirstie reading over his shoulder.

Alex was in the other bed, under the covers, and between both Scott and Jake.

Alex was already, gratefully, half asleep.

Jake watched him carefully, to be sure he was content, while Scott was actually enjoying the story Kevin was telling.

Kirstie looked up at Scott and mouthed the words, 'is it working?' To which Scott nodded and smiled at her.

Jake felt Alex slip a hand onto his waist under the covers, knowing no one else would be able to see, and Jake grinned down at him.

Scott noticed though, and he smiled too, grabbing one of Jake's hands and lifting Alex as much as he could so Jake's arm could be under his neck, and then Scott rolled Alex over onto his side so that his head was on Jake's chest, and Jake's arm was now around as much as he could reach of Alex's back.

Jake grinned at him in thanks, and Scott nodded once.

Because he knew.

*********

Avi's mood had visibly dropped after he came back from visitation, and when he walked into the room, he just sat beside Kirstie and didn't say a word.

Kirstie mistook his attitude as fatigue, so she dismissed it.

Scott didn't, however before he could really acknowledge it, Mitch came bouncing into the room excitedly.

Mitch grabbed Scott's hand, and pulled him out of the room forcefully. Scott, although it looked like it might be hurting him, smiled at Mitch anyway.

Mitch then closed the door to the room that everyone was now in, and smiled at Scott. "Guess what?"

Scott just smiled and tilted his head a little, Mitch still clinging to his hand.

"Mom and Dad got a cat! And at visitation, they asked me to name him!"

Scott smiled kindly, knowing that Mitch had always wanted a cat. He'd been talking about it since the day Scott met him. "How cute." He mumbled.

Mitch nodded vigorously. "I know! He's so, so cute." He quickly jumped to the next subject. "Did Alex end up falling asleep?"

Scott nodded, still smiling a little.

"Oh good. That's good. And it's almost lunchtime?"

Scott nodded again.

"Good. I'm hungry."

********

Now seated at the lunch table, Kirstie finally picked up on how distraught Avi appeared to be.

She turned to him, sure to speak quietly so no one else would hear her. "Are you alright? You're quiet today."

Avi just shrugged, staring his food down without touching it. "I'm fine. Thanks though."

Kirstie wouldn't let him off that easy though. "Who'd you see at visitation?"

"My mom."

"Oh cool. What'd you guys talk about?"

He paused. "I really don't want to talk about that..."

"I feel like that's what's making you upset though."

"I'm not upset."

"I think you are."

Avi just shook his head, knowing he wasn't going to win with her.

Kirstie ducked down a little in an attempt to catch his eyes. "Hey... You know you can talk to me."

"I know." He responded softly.

She frowned, and set her hand on his back, before grabbing his fork to try to feed him, knowing he needed to eat.

Scott was concentrated on his own food, but apparently was busy for a second too long, because Mitch suddenly poked him in the arm with a frown.

Scott glanced over at him, seeing the other half of the table beside him staring at him as well.

Alex, Jake, and Kevin were looking at him with concern.

Kevin spoke first. "Scott...? I don't think I've ever seen you ignore him... Is everything okay?"

Scott hated being the center of attention, which is what caused him to keep his eyes down, his face a shade of red.

Mitch patted his thigh. "Scottie? You'd tell me if something was wrong... Wouldn't you? Is it because of Mr. Riley?"

Alex visibly flinched at the mention of his name, and Jake leaned into him a little bit to get his attention, before giving him a comforting smile.

Kevin leaned across the table a little. "It's going to be okay, Scott. If he says anything rude, anything at all, you just have to stand up and leave."

Scott nodded, and then leaned down to Mitch to whisper something, before diverting his eyes again.

Mitch smiled widely at Kevin. "He said thank you!"

Mitch then turned back to Scott. "Will you please answer me?"

Scott looked down to him, his hands folded and tucked between his knees. A position that Mitch knew all too well to be a nervous one.

Mitch took in his appearance and frowned. "You don't have to be nervous. He's not going to do anything to you. Because if he tries to, you just have to get up and leave."

Scott finally gathered up enough courage to lean down and give Mitch a hug, closing his eyes briefly. "I love you." He whispered.

"I love you too!" Mitch responded happily, hugging him back tightly.

Scott moved away and then turned back to the table, but not before gesturing toward Mitch's food, making sure Mitch continued to eat.

*********

Jake and Alex left for group, as Scott cleaned the table they were eating on, tossing their trays as well.

Kevin was still seated at the table, speaking to Avi about something, but when he glanced over at Scott, who was still standing near the table, he followed Scott's eye line and saw him staring at a girl sitting at a different table.

Kevin recalls having seen her around before, but couldn't quite put a finger on her name.

Kevin waited for Avi to stop speaking, and then he held up a hand. "I'm sorry to be rude, but hold on just one second." He looked back to Scott. "Scott, you shouldn't stare at people."

Scott glanced over at him, and then he looked down at his hands in shame, before sulking over to sit beside Mitch. He mumbled to Kevin. "Sorry."

"It's okay, just... Is something wrong? Why were you staring at that woman?"

Scott shrugged, not wanting to answer, and still looking down at his lap.

Mitch ran his hand up and down Scott's arm. "Tell me."

Scott glanced up at Kevin, and leaned over to whisper a few short words to Mitch.

Mitch then gasped and looked to Kevin, leaning forward a little. "She was staring at you!"

Kirstie gasped, also looking at Kevin. "How cute."

Mitch got a little too excited though, and suddenly he started tapping his fingers on the table quickly. "Get married!"

****