Thirty Eight

(A/N)

I said I was taking a break but I lied. I promise I'll calm down after this update xD

*******

Alex hissed in pain, as Jake tried to help him resituate on the bed to be more comfortable.

Upon hearing the noise, Jake immediately withdrew his hands. "Sorry. I'm sorry."

Alex shook his head once. "No, it's fine. Please just... Like a band aid. My arm is falling asleep."

Jake nodded, and reached forward to try again, but he pulled away before he even touched him. "I can't, Alex. I'm sorry."

"Why not?"

"I just.. Can't. I'll go get someone. Scott, maybe... Kevin."

Alex sighed, and closed his eyes. "Please hurry."

Jake only nodded, before rushing into the hallway and hurrying over to knock on Scott and Mitch's door.

Scott opened the door, grinning at him, and then moving out of the way so Mitch could see who was at the door. "Mitchie."

Jake shook his head once. "I need your help. Both of you, even."

Scott immediately detected the urgency in his voice, and nodded a few times. He turned to Mitch and reached a hand out toward him.

Jake then led them into his room, and gestured to Alex. "He wants to be turned onto his back, because his arm is falling asleep. But every time he tries to do it, he gives up because it hurts. And I can't bear to do it myself."

Scott nodded and hurried over to Alex's bedside, gently grabbing him under the arms to turn him over.

Alex briefly considered apologizing for not having a shirt on because of the back brace they'd put on him, but forgot about it as soon as the pain fled up his spine.

Mitch hurried over to Alex's other side, to say the words Scott couldn't. "Scott is gonna do his best to turn you, okay? Speak up if it hurts."

Alex nodded and braced himself for pain. "Okay. Thank you."

Scott smiled down at him, and then did his best to turn him onto his back as carefully as possible.

Alex cringed the entire time, until he was finally flat on his back, and then he let out a small yelp, but covered his mouth with his hand. "Sorry."

Scott's eyes widened immediately, and he withdrew his hands from Alex's body as if he'd been burned.

Alex reached out toward him to try to reassure him. "No, no, it's okay. It's not your fault. Thank you for helping me."

Scott kept his hands up in surrender, just to prove to himself and his surroundings that he wasn't trying to hurt anyone. He looked to Mitch with wide eyes.

Mitch hurried over and smiled at him. "You did a good job. It's okay. Alex is fine."

Scott nodded slowly, but didn't move his hands. Mitch grinned at him and grabbed him in a hug.

Jake came over to Alex's side, grabbing his hand. "Is that better? Are you more comfortable?"

Alex nodded, his fingers curiously dancing along the back brace he was wearing, where the brace wrapped around his midsection. "Yeah. Thank you."

Mitch abruptly turned toward Alex and poked the brace. "This is... Odd."

Alex smiled at him. "Yeah.. Yeah it is." He nodded his chin in the direction of Scott. "How's your boy doing?"