Seven

The next morning, Mitch woke up when he felt Scott running his fingers through his hair.

Mitch slowly blinked himself awake, before shifting a little to turn enough so that he could see Scott.

Scott just smiled at him, continuing the motion with his hand, knowing Mitch would be upset if he stopped.

Mitch smiled widely. "Good morning! Is it early? It feels kind of early. You have nice hands."

Scott continued to smile, and then he sat up a little on his elbow, still laying on his side to watch Mitch's face.

Mitch stretched a little, finding a small amount in relief in the way his back fixed itself. "Can we go to the garden today? You never come with me anymore. Do you remember that spot we found on the edge of the yard?"

Scott nodded slowly.

"Maybe we could sit there for a little."

Scott nodded again.

A nurse walked in then, and she was surprised to see them both awake. "Oh! Good morning, you two. I was just supposed to wake you up and leave your pills here."

Scott moved from the bed to grab their medicine, but Mitch grabbed his shirt and pulled him back down.

Scott sighed quietly, and gave Mitch a look.

The nurse walked over with a smile, handing each of them cups with different pills in them.

Scott took his quickly, taking a sip of water as well.

Mitch frowned at the pills. "I don't wanna be sick anymore..."

The nurse gave him a wide smile. "You're not sick. You're just healing."

Scott nodded, taking the water cup from the nurse, and holding it to Mitch.

Mitch tried to smile, and took his pills as he knew he was expected to.

The nurse smiled, taking the water and the cup back. "Thank you. I'll be back later with your afternoon medication, Scott. Don't forget about breakfast. It might be prepared already."

Mitch jumped out of bed and reached his hand out for Scott. "That means pancakes! Come on!"

Scott stood from the bed, putting a hand on the nurses arm and smiling.

She knew what it meant and smiled back. "You're welcome."

Scott then walked over to Mitch, grabbed his hand, and walked down the hall with him towards the cafeteria.

Jake woke up at exactly eight o'clock, and turned over to see if Alex had slept at all on the other bed.

Alex was sitting on the edge of the bed, facing the window, his back to Jake.

Jake sat up and frowned. "Not again, Al. Did you sleep at all?"

Alex shook his head slowly, not moving from his seat.

Jake stood up and walked over, sitting down beside Alex.

He hesitated for a second, and then put his arm around Alex's waist, pulling him into his side. "It's going to be okay."

Alex leaned into his body. "Thanks..."

"Is something else wrong?"

Alex took a deep breath, his eyes slipping shut. "I'm just so tired... And I know that might seem cliché. But I just.."

"Didn't you take your medication for last night? Those help you sleep, don't they?" Jake questioned.

Alex shook his head slowly. "I did. But this is the third night in a row that I've had nightmares. So I wake up and can't fall asleep. And I just... Want to sleep for the rest of my life."

"Maybe you should tell your nurse. Or one of the counselors, even. They could up your dosage a little to be sure you don't wake up until you're fully rested." Jake suggested.

Alex didn't answer.

"But." Jake began, standing up and turning to smile at him. "Until then. Let's go get you some breakfast! Food will bring you some energy."

Alex smiled a little and stood up. "Okay. Let's go."

Kirstie was already eating when Mitch plopped himself down beside her, his food tray in front of him.

Scott sat on Mitch's other side, giving Kirstie a wave.

Kevin sat down across from him, and began a conversation with Kirstie, while Scott watched Avi get his breakfast on the other side of the cafeteria.

Scott wasn't even paying attention, but suddenly Alex dropped himself down in the seat next to him, laying his forehead on the table.

Scott jumped a little at how abrupt Alex's entrance was.

Jake sat down across from Alex, and met Scott's curious eyes. "It's been a long night."

Scott nodded, putting a hand on Alex's back and slowly dragging it up and down.

Avi finally sat down across from Kirstie, a smaller meal in front of him.

Kirstie smiled at him, and let Mitch take over the conversation with Kevin.

She glanced at Mitch and then looked back to Avi. "Good morning."

"Morning. How'd you sleep?"

"Pretty good. What about you?"

"Good. Good..." He trailed off awkwardly.

Kirstie ate something off of her plate, and then looked at Avi staring at his food. "Is it weird if I ask you why you're not eating? Besides the obvious?"

He chuckled a little. "It just... Makes my stomach hurt."

Kirstie smiled a little and then reached across her tray, to pick up his fork and put a small piece of fruit on it before feeding it to Avi.

Avi obeyed instantly, but frowned. "I said it made my stomach hurt. I didn't say I wasn't capable of doing it."

She shook her head and fed him a little more.

Kevin smiled at Avi and Kirstie getting along, and then looked to Jake and Mitch who were now conversing.

He looked to Alex, who Scott was still trying to comfort.

Alex groaned and sat up a little. "If you keep that up I am going to fall asleep on this table."

Scott didn't stop though.

Alex leaned into Scott's side, his eyes closing again.

Scott continued rubbing Alex's back, while he used his other hand to feed himself.

Jake leaned forward to give Alex some advice. "You really should eat something, Al. I know you're tired. But you need some energy to get through the day. Maybe you can take a nap before lunch."

Alex nodded slowly, opening his eyes after a second.

Jake stood up to get Alex's food for him, his half eaten plate just sitting on the table.

Mitch finally noticed what was happening, and leaned into Scott's other side. "Scottie?"

Scott turned to him, still chewing his food.

Mitch pouted and looked at Alex, and then back to Scott. "I want one."

Scott set his fork down, and pulled Mitch into his other side, kissing his temple.

When Jake sat back down, he frowned at Alex who had very literally fallen asleep in Scott's hold.

****