Thirteen

It was at the group meeting that Mitch picked up on how awkward Kirstie and Avi were being.

Jen was asking Kevin about his day, when Mitch interupted. "Oh my gosh! Kirstie has a crush on Avi!"

Scott set a hand on Mitch's leg and gave his thigh a quick squeeze, trying to keep him from interrupting anyone again.

Kirstie quickly denied it. "No I don't. I was actually very curious about Kevin's day."

Kevin smiled a little, but Mitch shook his head. "You can't try to hide it from me. I see how you two are acting around each other."

Jen cleared her throat. "Mitch, let's tone it down a bit. Whatever is going on between Avi and Kirstie is their own business. Just like whatever is going on between you and Scott. You wouldn't want someone calling you out on something like that would you?"

Mitch huffed. "They can call me out on whatever. He and I don't hide our relationship. But, aw! How cute would they be as a couple?! Scott??"

Scott shrugged. "Cute..." He mumbled.

Jen shook her head at them and scribbled something down, before turning to Kevin. "I'm sorry, Kevin. You were saying?"

*********

Mitch skipped out of group, Scott's hand in his own. "So, I have to go see my mom in the visitation room for an hour or so, and then I'll meet you at dinner. Okay?"

Scott nodded, still holding Mitch's hand.

Mitch giggled. "You could go take your 'afternoon nap' with Alex."

Scott smiled at the thought of that.

Avi held the door open for Kevin while they walked out together, Kirstie staying in the room for a personal counseling minute with Jen.

Kevin walked beside him into the next building. "So, you and Kirstie...?"

"Don't. I... I don't know what we are."

"Do you like her?"

"Of course I do. What's not to like?"

Kevin smiled. "That's fair. Would you want to date her sometime, or something?"

"Honestly? I can't even take care of myself. That's why I'm here. How could I possibly commit to a relationship like this?" Avi argued.

Kevin shrugged, walking into their shared room, waiting for Avi to close the door before continuing. "Scott and Mitch make it work."

"They've known each other longer. And they're obviously perfect for each other, being complete opposites."

"So? You can still have a relationship if you want one."

Avi waved him off and walked into the bathroom.

**********

Alex was sitting on the edge of his bed, writing something in his journal.

Scott knocked on the door twice, and then walked into the room, smiling at Alex.

Alex looked up, and smiled back, closing his journal and setting it next to him. "Hey. Where's Mitch?"

Scott nodded his head in the direction of the visitation rooms, but Alex didn't quite get it.

Alex tilted his head. "What?"

Scott looked down to the ground, not quite sure if he could trust his voice. Especially without Mitch around.

Alex stood up, not exactly sure how to act around Scott and his disorder. "Scott? Are you okay?"

Scott nodded slowly, not looking up until Alex was closer.

Alex's eyebrows came together in concentration as he tried to think through a good way to handle this situation. "You won't talk to me? Why? I've heard you talk before."

Scott just blinked at him.

"You're just going to ignore me?" Alex asked curiously, rather than rudely.

Scott shook his head quickly, and met his eyes. "I..." He shook his head again.

"I wish I... I could help, or something. I wish I understood you better... You and Mitch get along without speaking."

Scott walked past him, careful not to touch him at all, and then sat down on Jake's bed.

Alex watched him, and then slowly sat down next to him.

Scott looked at the bed they were sitting on, and then looked to Alex for an answer.

"What? Oh, you mean Jake? Yeah, he's in visitation. Is Mitch in there too?"

Scott nodded and took a deep breath.

Alex thought it was a sigh of some kind. "Is something wrong?"

Scott looked surprised though, and he shook his head again.

Alex cleared his throat awkwardly. "Um... You and I aren't very good at this... Maybe we could nap again?" He suggested.

Scott smiled and nodded, before standing and walking over to Alex's bed and waiting for him.

Almost a half hour later, Jake walked into the room.

He walked over to them quickly. "Scott. Scott, man, you have to get up. Mitch is gonna be here any second."

Scott didn't move from where he had his head on Alex's shoulder, his arm draped over Alex's waist.

Jake tapped his arm a few times. "Scott, I'm really sorry, but..."

Scott opened one eye, before both, and then sat up to look at Jake.

Alex groaned and sat up to wrap his arms around Scott's midsection and pull him back down. "Don't go."

Scott felt bad, so he gave Alex's forehead a kiss and then stood up to leave.

He didn't look back at Alex, as he walked into the hallway.

Once he crossed the hall to get to his room, he smiled and opened the door, immediately met with Mitch's warm smile. "Hi! How was your nap?"

Scott shrugged in response, and closed the door behind him.

Mitch skipped over and hugged him. "Did you just wake up? You're still warm and snuggly."

Scott didn't understand how 'snuggly' could be used to describe someone that just woke up, but he let it slide.

Scott hugged him back, even after Mitch let go of him.

Mitch giggled, and pushed him back a little. "You're in a cuddly mood. Maybe after dinner we can... But until then, you can just kiss me!"

Scott chuckled quietly, and set both of his hands on Mitch's face and kissed him quickly, pulling away before diving back in.

Avi knocked on their door once and opened it. "Hey guys, I-- Oh God! I'm sorry!"

Scott flinched away from Mitch, but Avi had moved away from the door already.

Kirstie was waiting in the hall, and she set a hand on Avi's arm. "What's wrong?" She glanced behind him and saw Mitch standing close to Scott, and put the pieces together. "Oh, them? You'll get used to that. Come on, you two. It's dinner time. And Scott, I have a favor to ask of you."

Scott was out in the hall in seconds, worried about his friend.

He put his arm over her shoulders and stared into her eyes with concern.

Kirstie smiled at him. "You haven't said anything to me yet, and the day is almost over."

Scott looked behind him at Avi, and then shook his head at Kirstie.

Kirstie frowned. "Aw, Scott. He isn't going to judge you. Please just say something to me. Anything."

Scott leaned towards her to whisper. "You're really pretty."

**********