Forty Three

Kirstie quietly stepped into Alex's room, confirming that he was in fact alone.

She knocked on the door a few times, though she was already in the room. "Hey, Al."

He turned his head, and gave her a weak smile. "Hey."

Kirstie walked into the room, sitting down on the edge of Jake's bed so she could face the poor, injured boy on the other bed. "How are you feeling, sugar?"

"I'm alright. It's nice of you to come by. Group is over, then?"

"Yeah... I would've come and said hi earlier, but I figured if you were finally asleep I didn't want to risk waking you."

"No, I understand. You guys don't need to worry about me. It's not like I'm going anywhere." He winked at her, and then turned his head to stare at the ceiling again.

"Does your back hurt all the time?"

"No. Just when I move too much. Getting up to piss has been a real pain in the ass."

Kirstie frowned, then. That's why Jake was supposed to be here. "Where's Jake?"

"I don't know. Haven't seen him all day."

Kirstie stood up, crossing her arms over her chest before taking a few steps to sit down on the edge of Alex's bed. "He can be so small sometimes. Like, can't he just ignore a tiny argument, at least until you're healthy again? You're practically torturing yourself in here, all alone, and he's out doing nothing."

Alex chuckled a little. "As nice as it is for you to defend me... I totally understand that he's on his specific schedule, and if he messes it up it makes him lose his mind. He's always gotta be perfectly on time."

"I know, but still. That's so rude. You could be in Medical right now, getting the treatment you need. But you chose to stay here for him, and for the rest of us. And now he can't give you the time of day?"

"It's not like that. Just... Kit, can we please drop this? I'm way too tired to be stressing out right now."

"Of course. I'm sorry." She paused a second, and then smiled again. "Do you mind if I hang out in here until dinner?"

"Make yourself comfortable. I can't promise that I'm the best host, as I'm stuck to this bed, but I will do my best."

Kirstie giggled. "I'm sure your running commentary can make up for that." She grinned at him for a second, and then spoke again. "Hey, I could ask Scott to help me take you to the dining hall if you want. Then you can eat with the rest of us. We miss you lots."

"I don't know, Kit... What if Jake shows up? I'm too injured to run for my life and the safety of my children." He stated flatly, his humor dry because of his fatigue.

Kirstie laughed again, but waved a hand at him. "Oh, you'll be fine. He hasn't come around us at all since your argument. And if he does, Scott and I will help you limp off into the sunset."

*********

Scott and Kirstie did end up helping Alex into the cafeteria, letting him sit and lean on Kevin's shoulder, while Kirstie got up to get him a tray of food.

Mitch and Kevin were already eating, but Avi was waiting for Scott. Scott sat down beside him with a sympathetic look on his face, gesturing to the empty table space in front of him.

Avi grinned sheepishly, realizing he was a little embarrassed with what he was doing. "I.. I didn't want to go without you, and then have you get upset that you weren't here or something..."

Scott smiled widely, grabbing Avi's hand and shaking it a little before letting it go. His way of saying he was excited.

Avi stood from his seat. "Shall we?"

As they walked away, Scott tapped Kevin's shoulder, and gestured to Mitch.

Kevin looked to Mitch, not quite sure what to make of that.

Mitch just stared at his food, having seen it out of the corner of his eye. "He just wants you to look out for me." He then looked up at Scott. "But I'll be fine. You're overreacting."

Scott frowned at him, but Avi tugged him along, not wanting them to get into an argument. Whatever tactics Scott uses to argue, Avi didn't want to see it.

Kevin turned back to Mitch after the other two had gone. "You shouldn't talk to him that way. He's just looking out for you."

"I know that. But he's freaking out over nothing." Mitch met Alex's eyes after a second. "How was your day?"

After a few minutes of them speaking, Kirstie sat back down with a tray for herself and a tray for Alex.

She met his eyes after he turned to thank her. "Do you need help eating? I don't know why that would hurt your back, but I'm just asking."

"I'm okay for now. Thanks though."

She grinned. "Good. Let me know."

Avi was now packing a bunch of vegetables on his tray, Scott right behind him watching his hands.

Avi smiled at him. "How's your day been? I feel like I haven't seen you very much."

Scott smiled widely at him, pointing to his lips, and then making a heart shape with his hands.

"It was good because you and Mitch were kissing?"

Scott nodded a few times, reaching over and grabbing a cracker off of Avi's tray, but he dropped it immediately. "Sorry."

Avi grinned at the fact that he used his voice, and took a small step to the side to continue walking through the line. "You can take it. I don't mind."

Scott blushed a little in shame, but reached to take the cracker anyway. "Th-Thanks."

"You're welcome. You can have as many as you want."

Scott nodded, looking around the room as if he was going to get in trouble, and then grabbed another one.

When Avi finally got to the end of the line, Scott hugged him tightly.

Avi held the tray with one hand, and set a hand on Scott's arm. "You don't have to be like that. They're just crackers..."

Scott just grinned. "Friend."

****