Forty Two

When the Group meeting was over, Jen kept Scott for a few extra minutes to be sure he was okay.

Mitch walked back to the dormitories without him, staying with Kirstie instead.

After walking into their building, Mitch turned to Kirstie with a smile. "Can I hang out with you until Scott comes back?"

"Sure!" Kirstie grinned, knowing exactly how to appeal to Mitch's child-like mindset. "Want to play a game or something?"

Mitch nodded a few times, smiling wide. "Yes please!"

Kevin spoke quietly to Avi, as they went to their own room. "Did you want to go with them? I won't take any offense at all."

Avi just shrugged. "Nah. I kind of feel like hanging out with you today. Maybe we can go through your drawers to be sure you have all your stuff. Count it out, and whatnot."

"As fun as that sounds... It doesn't seem like something you'd be interested in."

Avi shrugged again, walking into the room, and then turning to face his roommate. "I'm just intrigued by you. How many pairs of socks do you have?"

"Eight... Why?"

Avi just smiled, and pulled out the drawer he knew Kevin kept his socks in. "Want to check?"

Kevin pretended like he was thinking about it, but he'd already made up his mind. Finally he walked over, trying not to look to excited, as he shrugged. "Yeah, I guess."

*******

Scott avoided the dormitories at first. He just needed a second to think, before walking into the ambush that is Mitch's questions.

He wandered around the campus, walking along the fence line. When he saw the large tree, he walked over to it, and sat down.

There were so many memories in this spot... Scott even remembers that there used to be a bench there. That's why he'd chosen it in the first place.

And when he was later assigned to be Mitch's roommate, after his own roommate had been released, Mitch started following him out there.

Mitch would just sit down next to him, and try to be quiet, just like Scott was. Until they sparked up a friendship, and Mitch felt better about letting his personality show.

This was the spot that Scott said his first words to Mitch, even.

They'd just been sitting on the bench, Mitch swinging his feet underneath himself, talking about how much he missed going shopping with his mother.

Scott closed his eyes, as he remembered that day.

Mitch had glanced over at him, with a grin. "Y'know, it's funny to me that you don't say anything, but I still know you're listening. I bet you could repeat back this entire conversation."

Scott had just shrugged, smiling back.

"Have you ever spoken before? Is that a weird question?"

Scott held up one finger, and nodded. And then two fingers, and shook his head.

Mitch understood immediately, and smiled even more. "Oh cool! Is it just like... You only talk to like... People you're okay with? Like your family and stuff?"

Scott shrugged again, looking away.

"I wanna know who else you might talk to. Like... Do you talk to your counselor? Or your old roomie? Or Kev Kev, maybe?"

Scott looked over again, wondering why Mitch was so curious about everything.

"And what kinds of things do you say? You probably don't waste your time on yes and no questions. Do you just... Speak whenever people make you? Or when you see something specific?"

Scott hesitated this time, before whispering. "Yes."

Mitch's smiled widened even more, and he reached over to grab Scott's arm with both of his hands. "Oh my God! There it was! I love your voice so, so much! It's so beautiful!"

"You're beautiful." Scott responded, before blushing, and looking away from the adorable boy beside him.

Scott opened his eyes again, looking out past the fence of the institution. There was a large green pasture out there, and a pond in the middle of it. Scott grinned suddenly, seeing a few ducks swim through it.

He wished Mitch was here to smile with him. What's the point of enjoying anything, if Mitch isn't here to enjoy it with him?

Scott's bright smile dimmed at the thought, so he stood up to go retrieve the boy.

He hurried back into the dormitories, finding Mitch in Kirstie's room, playing a board game.

Kirstie grinned at him. "Scott, why didn't you tell me your boyfriend is awesome at Monopoly?"

Scott just shrugged, pushing his hands into his pockets and looking at the ground.

Kirstie's smile fell. "Hey, what's wrong?"

Scott glanced over at Mitch, and then back to Kirstie.

Kirstie didn't understand, frowning even more. "What about him?"

Mitch turned to face him, smiling widely. "Do you wanna play too?"

Scott shook his head, and then turned to look into the hallway, and back at Mitch. "With me?"

Mitch nodded once, jumping off the bed. "Sure! Where are we going?"

Scott then turned his frown to Kirstie, in apology for stealing her other player.

Kirstie understood that one though, and she smiled widely, proud of herself. "Oh, no worries! I'll just ask Avi if he wants to play. Or maybe Alex, since he's been lonely."

Mitch suddenly remembered. "Wait, didn't Jake and Allie get in a big fight? Do you think they're still mad at each other?"

Scott frowned down at him. He certainly hoped not. What if Alex had been alone all day, since the others were in Group?

Well now he felt like shit for not checking in on him. But he really wanted Mitch to see...

Mitch grabbed Scott's hand. "Let's go check on Allie!"

Scott, usually pliant to whatever Mitch wanted, shook his head, and tugged Mitch's hand gently in the other direction.

"Oh yeah, you wanted me to go somewhere. Kitty, would you check on Allie instead?"

She stood, and nodded. "Of course. You two have fun, and I'll see you at dinner, okay?"

Mitch nodded a few times, and then let Scott pull him back outside. Mitch was very curious now, seeing the way Scott was acting. Scott didn't get excited about things very much, these days.

Scott hurried over to he and Mitch's spot, and sat down by the big tree, grateful for it's shielding of the sun.

Mitch plopped down next to him, grinning at the side of Scott's head. "What's got you so excited?"

Scott turned to meet his eyes, and the pointed out toward the pond.

Mitch turned to look, and he grinned widely. "Oh wow!" He jumped up, taking a few steps closer. "Five little ducks went out one day; over the hill and far away."

Scott smiled at him, listening to him sing the nursery rhyme.

Mitch turned to Scott with the same smile, and continued. "Mother duck said, "Quack, quack, quack, quack." But only four little ducks came back!"

Scott opened his arms toward the other boy, allowing Mitch to sit on his lap. Mitch continued to stare at the ducks, in fascination. "Thank you for bringing me here to show me this! Little duckies are so cute!"

Scott grinned at him, kissing his cheek. "You're cute."

****