Forty

(A/N)

Fun fact; Being the English Queen that I am, forty is like.. The ultimate number bc it's the only number in alphabetical order.

Have a nice day xD

********

Avi went to hang out in Kirstie's room when she got out of visitation, though she said that Kevin was still there for a little while.

Scott and Alex had both fallen asleep, but Mitch had too much energy to do so.

He poked at Alex's back brace curiously, but not hard enough to cause pain.

Jake had been pacing back and forth in the room, thinking about Alex's injuries.

Mitch turned to face him, and grinned, waving at him. "Hi!"

"Shh, Mitch. They're sleeping."

"But--"

"Alex hasn't been able to sleep since he's been injured. Please let him sleep."

Mitch nodded, but turned to try and stand from the bed. Not only did he jostle Alex awake, he accidently elbowed him when he stood up.

Alex grunted, his hand flying up to rest on the spot Mitch had hit. Scott jumped awake too, eyes wide at what was happening.

Mitch turned back to Alex, and frowned. "Did I hit you?"

"Yeah. But only a little, it's okay."

Mitch pouted at him, and leaned down to try to hug him. "I'm sorry."

Jake grabbed his arm, and pulled him back a little. "Hey, come on."

Scott reached out toward Mitch, and shook his head once at Jake. Mitch looked up at Jake, trying to pull his arm out of Jake's grip. "He wants you to let go."

Jake did as he was told, and Mitch instantly walked around the bed to stand beside Scott.

Jake then stepped forward and met Alex's eyes. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. It was an accident. Don't get mad at him, Jake."

"I'm not mad. I just wish he wouldn't behave so recklessly with you being hurt."

"Recklessly? He was just standing up. How the Hell does that seem reckless?"

"He should've been mindful of your injuries!"

"Don't you dare raise your voice at me."

"I'm just trying to--!"

Scott interupted them, bravely choosing to use his voice. "Don't argue."

Alex turned to look away from Jake, trying to comply to Scott's request. "Sorry."

Jake crossed his arms over his chest. "I can't believe you'd defend him over me."

"I'm not choosing favorites. I was just sticking up for the little guy, whom you scared half to death, by the way."

"I didn't scare him! I was just trying to help!"

"Stop raising your voice, you're doing it again!"

Jake held up a hand, taking a brief pause before speaking. "You know what? Fine. I'll just go, and leave you to it. You don't need me to spend time with you anymore."

"Jake, I--"

"Save it, Alex." Jake snapped, turning to walk out the door.

Kirstie walked into the room, just as Jake was leaving.