Forty Seven

Scott and Kevin were both letting Alex lean on them, as they helped him walk down to dinner.

Scott made sure Alex was completely comfortable in his seat, before he turned to follow Avi to his dinner line.

Kirstie grinned at Alex after he sat down. "Hi, Allie. How are you feeling?"

Alex smiled at her, though it looked slightly pained. "It's weird without the back brace on... But I'm getting better."

Mitch reached up to pat his shoulder. "Yay for healing!"

Kirstie grinned at him. "That's cute. You're always so--" Her eyes locked on something behind Mitch, and she frowned. "Uh oh."

Jake suddenly tapped Alex's shoulder a few times. "Alex, I need to talk to you."

Alex turned a little, but turned back. "I have nothing to say to you."

"That's why I said I need to talk to you. I just need you to listen, Al. Please."

Alex took a deep breath, and didn't turn to face him when he spoke again. "Take a seat, then."

"I need privacy, Alex."

"I can't get up without Scott and Kevin, so." He half shrugged. "Sorry."

"I'll help you, stand up."

Mitch turned then, crossing his arms over his chest. "Don't be mean. Say please."

Jake disregarded him, reaching forward to grab Alex's arm, but pulling it away before he actually made contact. "Alex, please. Just.. Please."

"Jake, even if I wanted to--"

"Try."

Alex squinted at him, only obeying out of spite, standing slowly and bracing himself on Mitch's shoulder.

Kirstie reached toward him. "Alex, don't. You're going to hurt yourself."

Alex cringed as he tried to take a step. "It's fine, Kit."

Mitch shrugged, meeting Kirstie's eyes as he turned back in his seat. "It's not like it's the first time Jake has hurt him."

Jake and Alex both stopped to look down at him in shock, for two different reasons.

 Mitch giggled all of a sudden. "I'll keep your food safe, Allie-Gator."

Jake had already begun to walk, grabbing Alex's arm and putting it over his own shoulder to help him walk.

Alex cringed at every step, but he didn't say a word, so Jake continued to help him.

When they were outside the cafeteria, Jake led him a little closer to their dormitories until Alex asked him to stop.

Jake put a hand on Alex's back as gently as he could. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Just... Can we just talk here?"

"Do you want to sit somewhere? Like on one of the planters maybe?"

"It's probably just easier to stand."

"I'll try to be quick, okay? And... You don't have to say anything. But I need to tell you a few things."

"Fine." Alex started to feel bad for being short with him. "Is... Is anything wrong?"

"No, I just..." Jake stopped to meet Alex's caring eyes, taking a deep breath. "I'm in love with you."

Alex just blinked at him. "What?" He practically whispered.