Sixteen

Nothing new happened for the first half of the day.

Alex had gone to see his counselor, who agreed to give him a higher dose of Melatonin so he could sleep easier.

Alex left just before lunch for this appointment, and wasn't seen again until lunch.

Alex had just shown up, lunch in his hands, and sat down beside Jake. "I did it."

"Did what?"

"Got a better sleeping medication."

"Oh, good! Congratulations. I hope that will make everything easier."

Scott was listening to Mitch whisper something in his ear. Which for the two of them, was normal.

But it was just adorable the way they did it, and Kevin couldn't help but smile.

Scott had his arm around Mitch's back to pull him close enough for Mitch to be able to be as quiet as he wanted. Meanwhile Mitch had a hand off to the side of his mouth, and another hand on Scott's upper arm.

Scott chuckled at whatever Mitch had said, and Mitch smiled at him widely.

Avi was still in his lunch line, and Kirstie was waiting for him, her own lunch in her hands.

Suddenly, someone tapped her shoulder.

She smiled at him, and then frowned. The person with a hand on her arm, was none other than the person who used to treat her poorly. Steven.

He smiled sickeningly. "Hey, Kirstie. Where's your big, silent guardian? Taking a day off, maybe?"

Kirstie refused to answer, not wanting to encourage his behavior.

Steven tapped her arm again. "Hey. What's wrong with you?"

She glanced at him for a second, although she knew she was going to regret what she said. "Just get out of here."

"Are you going to make me?"

Kirstie rolled her eyes and looked back to Avi, who was now being handed his lunch. "Jesus, what are you, twelve?"

Steven crossed his arms in front of himself. "You don't have to be such a bit--"

"Hey guys." Avi interrupted, his tray in his hands. "What are we talking about?"

Steven looked him up and down, scoffed, and then looked back to Kirstie. "Really? You've got a starver for a boyfriend now?"

Kirstie shook her head. "Oh, no, he isn't my--"

Avi interrupted. "Yes, I'm her boyfriend, so I recommend you back off."

Steven smiled a little at him and then raised his hands in mock surrender, and backed away, before turning around and leaving the room.

Avi smiled at Kirstie. "Alright then. Ready to go?"

She was just smiling at him.

"Kit..?"

"You said you were my boyfriend."

"Oh, I know. I'm sorry, I just didn't want him to bother you."

"It's actually... Perfectly fine."

********
Kevin and Jake were making light conversation about their counseling groups, and how different they were.

Scott and Mitch were still just whispering to each other, until Kirstie sat down at the table.

Avi sat next to her and looked at everyone that was already seated. "Guys? Who's Steven?"

Everyone stopped talking, even Mitch, and turned to face him.

Kevin frowned and looked to Kirstie. "Why? What happened?"

Kirstie just shook her head. "He just wanted to be mean to me. And to Scott, actually."

Mitch jumped up, and looked around the cafeteria. "Alright, that's it. Where is he?"

Scott pulled his arm to have him sit back down. "He'll crush you." Scott whispered.

Kirstie nodded at Scott. "I know. He'd hurt anybody." She looked down and grumbled to herself. "Such a jackass."

Avi set a hand on her back and tried to comfort her. "What did he do to you?"

"You mean today? Or you mean last time he was here? Or the time before?"

"He's been here multiple times?"

"I think he has an addiction or something. So every time he relapses, he shows up again."

Avi looked up at Kevin. "Is that true?"

Kevin nodded, a fork hanging from his mouth as he continued to eat his lunch.

The announcement called Jake and Alex from their meals, for their group counseling, before Kirstie continued.

She glanced at Avi, but looked down at the table soon after. "He's just... Rude. That's all. And he tries things on me. But he's scared of Scott. So, that's the solution."

Avi nodded slowly. "Two things. One; What do you mean by tries things?"

"Like..."

"Does he hurt you?" Avi questioned with an angry edge to his voice.

"Not successfully. Again, he's afraid of Scott. So all Scott has to do is walk over, and Steven is out of the building."

"That was my second question. Why is he scared of Scott?"

Kirstie looked to Scott to find her answer, but still wasn't sure. "Probably just because he's big and tall and stuff... And I'm sure the 'no talking' thing can be a little intimidating."

"But Scott hasn't actually, like, done anything to Steven? To make him more afriad?"

Kirstie thought about it for a second. "No."

"That's... Weird."

Scott wasn't paying attention to what they were saying though.

He'd heard 'because he's big' and then decided he'd rather lean over and kiss Mitch's neck than listen to this conversation.

So he did.

Mitch giggled at him, and stopped listening too.

Scott was just casually attacking Mitch's neck for his own pleasure, until Mitch pushed him away gently.

Scott chuckled, knowing Mitch just didn't want this to be done in public, and did as he asked.

Mitch smiled at him though, and leaned to whisper to him again. "Hey. Guess what?"

"What?" He whispered back.

"I love you."

Scott pulled away with a huge smile, the same way he did every single time Mitch told him that.

And maybe the true essence of their relationship was shown every time Mitch would quiet himself for Scott, and Scott would get louder for Mitch.

Scott cleared his throat and tried to speak loudly, so Mitch would know he wasn't afraid of the words. "I love you too."

**********