Forty Six

Of course, Mitch didn't understand.

When Kirstie told the rest of the group at breakfast that she was leaving the next week, he didn't get it.

Mitch teared up, leaning into Scott's side for comfort. "But... Why?"

Avi tried to explain it to him, sitting across from him. "She's healthier now than she was when she got here. Healthy enough to live outside this place."

Mitch frowned at him. "But what about you guys? Are you going with her?"

"No.. I'm not."

"Why? Do you not like each other anymore?"

"No, it's not that. I'm not getting out for a while, Mitch."

Mitch pouted, and turned his sad eyes to Kirstie. "I don't want you to go alone... Maybe one of us could work real hard and get out at the same time."

Kevin spoke up then. "It seems to me like Scott is the closest one to freedom, but he won't want to go without you, Mitch."

Mitch grabbed Scott's bicep with both of his hands. "Yeah, you can't have Scott. Someone else."

Alex looked to his left. "Jake maybe? His episodes aren't nearly as frequent these days. And as long as he stays on his meds, he shouldn't need full time care anymore."

Kirstie crossed her arms over herself. "No way. I don't want Jake to be out with me. After how he's treated you?" She scoffed.

Mitch grinned then. "Maybe I can try to get out! It would be so fun to live together, Kitty."

Scott gave him a sad smile, and threw his arm over Mitch's shoulders.

Kirstie just nodded. "Sure you can! That would be lots of fun."

"I just have to act normal!" Mitch turned to Alex. "How do you act normal?"

"I'm probably not the best person to ask, little guy."

Mitch frowned, and looked at Kevin.

Kevin didn't have to look up to know what he was going to say. "I'll try to find a book for you."

"Perfect! Thank you!"

Scott leaned over to kiss his temple, and whisper something to him.

In response, Mitch giggled and turned a smile in his direction. "I love you too."

*******

The issue was brought up again at their group meeting, when Jen congratulated Kirstie.

Jen had then turned to the others. "I know you guys are going to miss her, but I have good news! The Administration is reviewing all the patients here, to see who else might get an early out. They started with the females though, so just give it time for them to circle around your guys' files."

Kevin questioned her first. "They're reviewing everyone? Why?"

"Mostly overpopulation. But also because that's always at the bottom of their list, so they're making it a priority to be sure they don't keep people here that don't need to be here."

Avi questioned her second. "So... There's a chance some of us could get out?"

"Correct. Especially because you five aren't in the Greys. They may need to contact your parents of course, but ultimately the decision will be based on your progress here."

"Progress? So they'll need to speak with our counselors? And... You?"

"Also correct. And of course I'll give them my honest opinion, but I truly do believe there's no reason for any of you to be held back from living your life. You shouldn't need to stay here more than a year, though I know some of you are already past that."

Avi paused, before trying another question. "Even if..? I mean, I just got here. It's only been a few weeks."

"Yes, but in those few weeks you've improved a lot. You've gotten your B.M.I. back up to normal, and I don't think you complained or made a big deal out of eating anything at any point in time. I've noticed it, and I'm sure the higher ups have as well."

Kirstie reached over to squeeze Avi's hand. "That's so good! I'm so proud of you!"

Mitch interrupted, speaking to Jen. "You'd recommend all of us? Even me? Even... Even if I'm not improving as much as the others?"

"Oh, Mitch... You are improving. More than you know. People aren't even able to identify your disorder anymore, because of how much progress you've made. You've been here for much too long, almost as long as Kevin. And I don't think it's fair to you or your family. I'd probably suggest a stay-at-home nurse or something, but I still think you should get a chance."

Mitch grinned at her, and Scott brought Mitch's hand up to his lips to kiss his knuckles.

Kevin had another question. "Um, Jen? Just... Out of curiosity. They'll be releasing a lot of people? Like... Probably the Yellows and the Greens and..."

"As far as I know, yes. Maybe not the Greens, because they're a short fix. But maybe some of the Blues and Yellows. And you five, of course."

Mitch gasped, looking to Scott. "Do you think Allie will get out?"

Scott just shrugged and looked to Jen for an answer.

Jen held up a hand briefly. "Not to sound rude and presumptuous... But 'Allie' was the taller one? With insomnia?"

At Kevin's nod, she continued. "Oh, absolutely. If they can get him the correct medication, he would probably be okay... Then again, I'm not his counselor. I'm not sure what else he has going on in his head. But from what I've seen, I'm sure he's a perfect candidate for an early out."

Mitch grinned at her. "Jen? Will you be my stay-at-home nurse?"

"I'm not sure I'm qualified for that. Though, I'd love to."

"And what about Scott? Would you recommend him too?"

"Of course. He's progressed a lot too, though I'm sure you know that."

Mitch giggled. "I do!"

Jen scanned over all of them. "But please don't get your hopes up, guys. It's not my decision. I can only put in a few words and that's all. The Administration has the most power in this situation."

Avi squeezed Kirstie's hand once. "We understand, Jen. And thank you."

Jen clapped once. "Anyways! Congratulations, Kirstie! Maybe I could get a cake for tomorrow... That would be fun!"

Scott tapped Mitch's arm, but Mitch waved him off. He already knew. "Jen, Scott doesn't like cake."

"Cupcakes then! Or brownies? I don't know. I'll just bring lots, and then you guys can take them back to your rooms for later."

****