Chapter 11

The ride back to the hotel was quiet and had my mind rambling. Elliot seemed more calmed and relaxed. I guess seeing his mother was really grounding. 

"Your mom is great." I say, after awhile, looking out the window at the fields of flowers. "She's embarassing as hell. But that's what makes her Momma." He says, turning his head to look at me smiling. "Your baseball picture was cute too." I tease, smiling back. His eyes widens and he gapes at me, "She actually showed you that!?" 

"Yes and you looked adorable." I say putting my head up and smiling. He just shakes his head and chuckles softly.  

"Thank you again for-" 

"Do you wanna go out tonight?" He suddenly inturrupts and I flinch back. Did he hear the conversation I had with his mom? Or was he just doing it to be nice. "As-as just professional or-" He stops my thought again. "We're out the office. I'm asking you on a date Rayleen." I just look at him for a moment, confused on what to say. "You know I'm not a patient man." He says raising his eyebrows at me. "So where would this date be taking place?" I ask finally, smiling. "A small Italian restasurant I know by a bay." He says, leaning back. Why was he always so attractive? So scrumpticious... "I'd enjoy that."

I felt like I actually stepped into Italy when we came to the restaurant. It smelt of fresh bread and olive oil causing my mouth to water. Before coming here, I dressed in a little sundress and heels to fit the attire. "This was very kind of you to bring me here." I mumble nervously as we are seated. "I'm just try to show you all sides of Utah." He replies, smiling. After ordering our drinks and some minutes of ordering entrees and our meal. I finally feel in my skin. "Have you always been interested in Journalism?" He then asked me; great we were talking about work. "Yea, writing was always a form of an excape for me and it's what I wanted to do for the rest of my life." I say, taking a sip of my Peach Tea. "An escape?" He questions. Great just great, "Yeah, growing up was a little rough." I say simply, hoping that would end his curiousity but it doesnt.

"Rough? How so?" He asks, rubbing his unshaven chin. "I wasn't considered "popular". What about you?" I reply, turning my head away and take the attention off of me. "Why weren't you?" He is being so damn persistant. "It doesnt matter." I say, simply. "It does. It's your past. I want to know." I swallow hard and look down. "I wasn't the prettiest flower in the garden. I let people walk over me." I say, reminicing elementary through high school days, walking down the hallways being teased about how awkward and skinny I was. Then I would randomly gain weight....and then..eventually...I was just skinny. At the time I struggled with depression, my dad was in and out of my life and he left my mom because she was overweight and I feared that I never would get someone if I became large. So I starved myself. I was awkward. I wasnt smart. I wasn"t anything. "Were you buillied?" His question didnt beat around the bush and I disliked that. I look away at the kids and their parents that were entering the building and I smiled to myself.

"I'm sorry if that was personal." Elliot says, reaching for my hand and I flinched back. "It's fine. I mean, the past is the past right? Things change." I say, hopeful and smile at him as our food arrives. "What about you? What were you like?" I ask, folding my hands under my chin. "Oh you know The Jock except I played baseball instead of football. But I became extremely quiet, I was laidback and was only involved in sports." He said, cutting into his steak. "No girls?" I ask, even though I already knew the answer. "They were too cliche, far to into the whole 'The Notebook' love theme." He said, shrugging. "There's nothing wrong with a little romance." I mumble, starting to eat my salad. Weight watching as usual. "What about you? Any boys?" 

"No. I- um...I never have been in a real relationship." I solemnly admit, but why would I say that like it was going to make a difference? "Sounds like you and I are on that same boat." He says, looking up at me. I'm a 24 year old woman, why am I acting like a teenager. A few minutes of silence, break between us and I can feel my heart pounding in my chest. "You're beautiful." I'm caught almost completely off guard by what he says. It's not, 'You look beautiful' it was a you're beautiful. I look at him and he's gazing into my eyes. I look at him- actually look at him. His hair has soft random blonde strands that blend into his dark brown hair. His eyebrows are perfect and with his long eyelashes they highlight his soft chocolate eyes. The plains of his face compliments his full perfect lips, and his unshaven chin, leaves soft hairs that are soft to touch. He looks, "Perfect," I hear myself breathe. We just sit there, looking at each other and I feel myself getting lightheaded...I want to kiss him. "Rayleen your lips are all I want to taste." He whispers, pushing his plate to the side. "Come taste me then." I insist, moving forward. He lips his lips and gives me a carnal look. Our foreheads are pressed together and I'm trying to fight the urge to pull on his tie and throw him on the table and straddle him. "As badly as I want too...we're in a restaurant." He whispers against my face. "Professionalism." I silently remind