Chapter 67

Short update...but the books coming to an end. Only so much to add in specific chapters.

"So what does that mean?" I ask and she straightens her back, running her hands through her blonde hair that was tightened into a ponytail.

"Ray. This is was why your mother was killed. She tried to take you back for her and Link. She came back for you." Amy replies, her voice delicate.

Her words trigger something.

"I'll come back for you,"

I tried to steady my thinking but it was so abstract and obscure.

I felt like I was having a déjà vu of memories. I felt my heart beat quicken and the blood in my veins began to rush.

Adrenaline filled me.

Curiosity filled me.

Emotion filled me.

"So she came back?" The words probably meant so little out in the open but as I realized.

I really missed my birth mother. I felt as though I missed so much.

So much of my past and so much of me.

I shifted uneasily in my hospital bed.

The heart monitor leaving a consistent beeping noise that was getting quite annoying.

Amy's eyes squinted as if she were struggling to suppress tears, she pulled her sleeves down and gnawed on her fingertips.

"Ray, your mother loved you." She simply says. Her voice cracked a little bit, evidence that she was feeling emotional about the issue.

For once in my 7 years of knowing Amy Blackwell, she looked at me intently.

It was mutual.

It wasn't her trying to sympathize or her trying to understand.

We knew. We linked.

Connected.

Her lips parted briefly as she inhaled before she said, "I've always looked up to you." My nose wrinkles at her sudden confession.

She looked up to me?

I looked up to her!

She paused and swallowed, her light eyes filling with tears and her bottom lip quivered.

"Look at you. Ray, you had men invade you. Friends deceive you. Time after time. You were abandoned and taken advantage of you." She stops and I feel the tears slip down my red cheeks.

I didn't know who I was...but in a way I did.

I softly stared at my best friend, watching her bow her head momentarily, just to rub the bridge on her nose.

"I just don't get how people can look up to all these singers and celebrities. Just for singing and acting. When they're people like you." She says staring at me.

I continue to stay still, waiting for her to continue.

To me, this wasn't sympathy. This was genuine.

"People who have seen the darker side of life. Who has seen Hell. Who has witnessed demons on this Earth. And didn't need a fan base or money to make it better. Rayleen you did it alone. You walked through the pain alone. I know I tried to be there as much as I could but there was so much I could do. People may be around but the didn't get you. I know Ray, I didn't get you. I wish I could. I wish I could have your strength. I wish I could have your wisdom. And that's why you deserve Elliot. As much as you two have been through. You fought each others demons. Which is why I will do anything for you to find him. I want you happy. I need you happy. It's been too long."