Chapter 32

When we got into the car, I burst into tears. The heat coming off of my face was lethal, Elliot pulled me into his arms as I sobbed into his chest. "God. I'm so sorry." He cooed. "I wasn't good enough for them? What? They didn't want me?" I was questioning the world, questioning my parents. Questioning if God ever had mercy on me. "You never know, it could have been complications." He says strongly. "I was a complication?!" I shout and he cups my face, "Not like that baby. They could have had financial difficulties. Their living conditions could have been unfit for a precious newborn baby. They wanted the best for you. Wanted you to be happy." He says into my hair. I blink a few times and shake my head, "Or maybe they just didn't want me." I pull away from his embrace and I put my head down. He looks at me, his eyes glossy. "Do you want to find them?" He asks quietly.

His question takes me by surprise. "My-My real parents?" He nods. "I mean of course. But it doesn't make sense. My mother and I look just alike. I had the weight problem just like her." As much as I wanted it to be all a big joke. It wasn't. I was waiting to wake up in bed next to Elliot, curdled up against him as I awake from this terrible never ending nightmare.

But sadly...it was my sick reality.

"Sometimes when children are adopted. The birth parents request that the child is to be adopted by someone who is quite relatable to the child. Such as your similar brown hair and oval features." He explains. "Or my fat problem." I add, matter of factly. He narrows his eyes on me and sighs. "No Rayleen." He says flatly. I inhale and try to compromise. Keep an open mind right?

But I felt so betrayed. "How could she keep something like that from me?

I can understand my father but- actually no I can't understand my father. He lived to break my self esteem and just me in general. Why wouldnt he throw that in my face?" I ask. Elliot stiffens tensely and starts the car. "You know, the stuff he took was bound to be incriminating to him." He says.

"How so?" I ask.

"There was a recent will your mother updated. Why would he leave you the old one? He did that purposely. He knows you aren't stupid and set you up. He knew you would put the pieces together."

This was all like some fucked up Hitchcock Movie. "So he wanted me to find out that I was adopted?" I ask and he shakes his head from side to side. "Or maybe find out who your real parents are." He corrects.

God I wish Amy wasn't idle. I needed to talk to her, to vent. "That's too simple, why would he want me to know?" I question. "Why not?" Eli returns and shrugs. That was true. "In that case. I want to know. It'll take him by surprise." I say, finalizing. "Exactly. It's so simple he wouldn't think you'd do it."

God my boyfriend is a genius. "He thinks I'd be an emotional wreck and wouldn't want anything to do with them." I understand finally and nod. "So what do you say?" He asks. "Okay. Just don't-don't leave me there." I silently pray, my lips curving into a sad crooked smile. "I would never." Eli promises.

The GPS is one of the 21st centuries greatest inventions. Within an hour and a half we had arrived at a large building. My heart clenched together and Elliot stroked my hand. "I'm with you." He assured and kissed my knuckles. I nodded and watched as he walked around to open my car door. I sighed as he led me to the front, I felt mental nausea wash over me as I opened my eyes to the front desk.

An old grey haired woman stood in a swiveled chair, her glasses half off her face. Her small wrinkled eyes looked up at our awkward gaze. "Hello, now what may I help you two with?" She asks, her voice was venturing to my soul. Unleashing my true emotions in almost an instant.

"My name is Rayleen Banks. I'm-" I was cut off by the sudden impact of my tears. Elliot rubbed my back softly. "I'm sorry this is extremely difficult for her. We just found out hours ago that she was adopted from this agency." He spoke for me, as I covered my mouth and sobbed quietly into my hands. "Oh. This is usually the reaction. But please I assure you this agency is one of the finest in the nation. Kids are exported here to be given to grand parents." She spoke gently to me.