Chapter 26

Authors Note: Everything in italics is a flashback that Rayleen is having. The first flashback below is in 3rd person you will see why. When it says end of flashback it's back to Rayleens Point of view. Hope their isnt any confusion.

Flashback (3rd person)

She brushed her daughters soft mocha hair back, observing her swollen pink cheeks and deep mysterious eyes filled with pain.

"Why do bad things happen to good people?" Her daughter asked her. She smiled softly at her daughters curious question. "The greatest people are the strongest. You think strength comes easy?" Her daughter was far too young to understand, so she just frowned and crossed her arms. She brought her daughter close and stroked her face, "Eyes dark with fever and mind dim with fear; the weak minded fall to their own king. But you with eyes like a soft gentle serene sea, and skin soft as satin, you bare a heart scared and shuttered, awaiting a wave of protection and secure hope. One who will love you, for every curve and road along the temple you call your body." She spoke rhythmically to her confused daughter, who's head lay on her bosom. She kissed her daughters forehead and whispered her soft reminders. "My sweet daughter. You've been so strong and I know you're scared, but I promise you will be okay. You're beautiful. Beautiful. Exquisite. Divine. A gem to me. Precious and rare. You're a blessing the ground I walk on. You're everything. Everything." She kissed her daughters small hand and watched her fall asleep. There was no doubt in her mind that one day her daughter Rayleen would understand.

~*~*~*~

 White, cream walls enclosed my battered body in security. Bright lights illuminated every inch of darkness, for they feared if I saw any form of darkness I would surely lose my mind. My mind was similar to the walls around me, suffocating my conscious.

I had already lost my mind.

Everything I had ever done. Everything that was ever done to me....replayed...over and over.

"Is she asleep?" I heard a voice whisper. "Yeah, I think so." Another voice mumbled. But I was far from asleep. I heard their movement, I heard them move across the carpet and soon felt their presence hover over me. Strange hands moved back the thin cotton of my panties, roaming between my innocence and I immediately began screaming. A hand closed over my mouth, barricading my screams so they couldn't be heard. The hands began moving, touching, squeezing. The man groaned and I begged for someone..something to save me. I looked up to see daddy, my heart leaped, he was here to save me! But he didn't, he watched and sipped his beer thoughtfully. And I continued to slip into the nothing I had become...

I was a fool to think he cared. All my dad told me to do was clean myself the next morning. I had tainted the family.

I was dirty.

Someone walked through the door which broke me out of my self pity. It was Dr. Jewel. "You have visitors Rayleen. Can you walk?" She asked softly. You think I would have felt offended by the simple question, but it was a question that needed to be asked. I stood to my feet shakily and moved my legs slowly to the door next to her. She grasped my hand and led me to the visiting room. It was Amy, Elliot...and his mom. I didn't feel shame....I felt nothing. I was nothing.

Dr. Jewel sat me in a chair and the three visitors looked at me intently. The gown I was wearing made my thighs itch and I moved uneasy in my seat. "Ray," Elliot began and then stopped. My face remained the same. "How's the office?" I asked quietly. "Fine." Amy whispered and tried to look into my eyes. "Well I'm not just going to sit here and act like I never met the girl before!" Linda exclaimed and moved closer to me causing me to flinch back. "I'm so sorry baby girl. I know this has been some shitty weeks for you." Linda said, and she reached to stroke my hair and I stiffened so she put her hand down. I appreciated her enthusiasm, but I had been here for 3 days. I didn't feel like talking yet. I nodded and put my head down.