Chapter Six

I couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned until six AM, and then decided it just wasn't worth it anymore. My mind kept wandering to Adam and then to Bobby drunk off his ass.

I'd seen Bobby drunk plenty of times, but the fact he actually got in his car and drove was driving me nuts. He was also beginning to drive me nuts with his obsession over Adam and I's relationship. I knew he was right; there was something changing in the way Adam and I interacted, but it didn't mean anything. It didn't mean Adam would act on it, and I knew I didn't have the guts to. I pushed the thoughts out of my mind as I popped in the dance DVD and started punching the air, jumping up and down and swaying my hips. I just finished and plopped onto the couch with a bottle of water when the front door opened.

"Hey," Adam said, sticking his head in. "Bobby's been puking his brains out for a good hour now."

"Serves him right," I said as I moved over on the couch and patted the space next to me.

Adam shut the door and came to sit beside me. "I'm really sorry about last night—we didn't get to see that movie."

Just then a crack of thunder resounded through the building, and I found myself jumping into Adam's arms.

"Always were scared of loud noises, but I don't remember you being afraid of lightning storms. I remember sitting out on the porch watching them together," Adam said, his arms tight around my still sweaty waist.

I shook my head as I pulled away from him. "It was the sudden noise. I'm not scared of lightning— I still love it."

"I'm not loving it right now. It looks like our beach volleyball game is going to get rained out."

"I bet Bobby hates it too; just what a hangover needs, a thunder storm," I said, trying to look sympathetic.

I ended up smirking instead.

"I bet he is, probably crawling around the apartment calling for me to make it stop," Adam replied.

He put his arm over the back of the couch, and his fingertips grazed my bare shoulders. My mouth watered as I leaned closer to him and my whole body tingled.

"Please don't make me go back in there," Adam said. His brows hung over his eyes as he stuck his thin lower lip out.

I laughed, leaning my head back so his arm fit into the shape of my neck. I let my chin drift, so I was facing him. "I need to take a shower, but you're welcome to stay as long as you like."

He burst into a smile, and I tried to hide the deep breath it made me take.

"Alright, I'm showering. You know where the remote and the food are, help yourself," I said as I got up and headed to the bathroom.

By the time I finished drying my hair I could hear Adam's voice echoing through the apartment, and the smell of bacon wafted through the air. I came out wrapped in a towel and leaned on the kitchen island. Adam stood at the stove, spatula in hand, nodding as he sang.

"I didn't know you could sing," I said, but his voice was so low, I could barely hear it.

He didn't respond, but kept singing to himself. Beside him there was a pile of cooked bacon, and as he turned I could see the pancakes simmering in the pan.

"You should come over here more often," I said as I stood with hands on hips.

Adam's voice slowly drifted off as his eyes ran up my body. His jaw went slack before he turned back to the stove.

"Go put some clothes on," he said, pointing the spatula over his shoulder in the general direction of my bedroom. "You're becoming more of a tease every day."