Chapter Forty

"The last volleyball game of the summer!" Adam said as he came into the bedroom, throwing the ball from hand to hand.

"Good thing the doctor cleared you to play," I said as I pulled yoga pants and a sweatshirt on over my bathing suit. "And let me remind you it's not summer anymore!"

"Eh." Adam slapped my ass. "It's going to be fine!"

"It's Columbus Day weekend! It's going to be freezing!" I shot back.

"It'll be fine. Plus, you'll be moving so you'll heat up quick enough."

"You better not put me anywhere near the water!"

"Really?" Adam looked at me with a pout. "The water takes longer to cool after the summer, so it's still quite warm."

"Then you go in!"

"Maybe I will!"

I put my hands on my hips, and he smiled before tossing the ball on the bed and pulling me into his arms.

"You ready?" he asked as he kissed my cheek.

I closed my eyes trying to think of anything but the way his lips trailed over my skin.

Beach. Sun. Tan. I opened my eyes and looked at my pale arms—the perfect distraction to his lips.

"I need a better tan," I managed to mumble out.

"Well, you're not going to get it completely covered up like that!"

I heaved a heavy sigh. "I might have to freeze my ass off to lock in a nice tan."

Adam pushed down the shoulder of my shirt and let his lips drift with the cold metal of his lip ring down my collarbone.

"You're perfect the way you are. I don't like Oompa Loompas."

"Ha ha," I laughed, but I couldn't help the shivers running under my skin as his lips trailed up to mine.

A knock interrupted us and Adam pulled away with a pout. "Damn, I was hoping for a little action before we had to leave!"

He winked at me as he turned to go answer the door, and I rolled my eyes. I knew very well he just liked to be a tease. I grabbed my beach bag and went to the living room where I almost dropped it on the floor.

"Look who's joining us," Adam said as he turned to face me from the door. His brows rose, and his eyes showed his horror at the situation.

Bobby stood in the doorway with his arms protectively wrapped around Tara, and what could only be called an evil grin plastered on his face. Tara looked uncomfortable as she mouthed the words sorry to me.

"Sounds good!" I said.

I tried to sound cheerful, but the whole idea mortified me. Bobby hadn't let up on his asshole tactics, and now he was bringing Tara even further into our mess. She was just too head over heels to really care, and I hated Bobby for treating her as second best to me. The order was all wrong—I shouldn't have even been in the order anymore, but Bobby wasn't letting go. I couldn't wrap my head around what the strategy behind this move was.

"We all going to take one car?" Adam asked as he grabbed the cooler from the kitchen island. His voice was even, but I knew he was wondering what the hell was going on as much as I was.

"Sure, why waste gas?" Bobby answered, his voice layered with bitterness over the false cheer.

I followed Adam and Bobby down the stairs and Tara hung back with me.

"I just happened to mention you guys were going to kick some butt today at the volleyball tournament, and Bobby decided he wanted to invite himself. Something about you never being good at any sports, so he had to see it for himself," Tara said in a hushed tone.