Chapter Forty Six

Tara convinced us to go to the new theater in town that offered a "home like" setting to watch movies in. It had the comforts of home, like reclining chairs, but with butler like services, including fancy alcoholic drinks. Bobby and Adam had been tolerating one another, but it seemed they had more to say to each other than they were letting on. I'd sat in the backseat of the car and watched as they silently eyed one another. I texted Tara to ask her again why she needed to work late and meet us there; it would've been a lot less awkward if she was there to distract Bobby. When we arrived Tara still wasn't there, and I asked where the bathroom was. I didn't really want to leave them alone, but by this point I didn't have a choice.

As I cracked open the door to return to the boys I heard Adam talking, and I stopped in my tracks.

"I just want to get something clear." Adam's voice was hushed and threatening as he continued, "I'm never going to be able to fully forgive you for trying to destroy my relationship with River. I'm making amends for her and no other reason."

"Don't flatter yourself," Bobby's said, voice bitter. "I won't ever forgive you for what you did."

"And what is that?"

"You made it impossible for her to love me," he said.

"I had nothing to do with that," Adam replied.

"Doesn't really matter, does it? It won't change where we are now."

"You can't blame me because she chose me over you."

"And you shouldn't blame me for trying to keep her to myself."

Adam didn't respond immediately, and I wondered if I should make my presence known—if another fight was about to start.

Finally, Adam spoke with a level voice that surprised me, "I don't blame you for trying to keep her to yourself. We both played that game. I blame you for trying to destroy our relationship after we were together—for telling her she was like every other girl. You know damned well that River could never be like any girl."

"Don't hurt her, Adam. I'll pick up the pieces quicker than you can realize you made a mistake," Bobby finished.

I stepped out of the bathroom before Adam could respond.

"What took you so long?" Adam asked. His face reddened as he looked at Bobby.

"I had to make sure my makeup looked okay. Did Tara get here yet?"

Bobby glanced down at his cell phone. "Crap, I didn't even realize she texted me."

I wanted to say something about their bickering, and smack Bobby for involving Tara, but I kept my mouth shut and smiled. "She's here?"

Bobby nodded. "She's already at our seats."

"Sounds good!" I replied. I was trying to be cheerful, but it bugged me to know they hadn't really made amends. Bobby shot me a smile that made my stomach turn before lengthening his strides and moving to the front of us. I watched as he swept Tara into an unrestrained kiss. My teeth clenched as the guilt of how she was wrapped up in this mess washed over me. I wondered if Tara could get out of the sick game only Bobby was playing before he broke her heart.

I shook my head before glancing over at Adam. "You couldn't just leave it be?"

Adam cocked his head at me as he slipped his hand into mine. "What?"

I felt my face twitch as I fought the happiness his hand in mine brought. My voice was low as I answered, "I heard your conversation."

Adam paled. "You weren't supposed to."

My eyes widened as I stopped walking and dropped his hand replying, "No shit!"

"River, come on."

"No, he's your brother. Suck it up!"

Adam looked at me as he crossed his arms with lips pursed. "Have you forgiven him?"

"That's different," I replied, looking away from him and down at my nails.

"How?"

"He's not my brother."

Adam narrowed his eyes at me as his voice lowered. "You should understand where I'm coming from. You're doing this for me, and I'm doing this for you."

I sighed, rubbing my temples. "I do understand...I just don't know why you had to confront him about it."

"You're not going to confront him about being with Tara while he's still thinking about how he can pick up the pieces if I fuck up?"

"Are you going to fuck up?" I asked.

Adam's brow furrowed as he looked back at me with scrutinizing eyes. "No."

"Then I don't have anything to confront him about."

Adam's lips curled into a half smile and his hands reached for my hips. "What if I fuck up?"

I let my arms rest on his shoulders. "I'll just have to punish you."

"Mhmm..." Adam leaned his head down to mine. "What if I don't?"

"Then I guess you're stuck with me forever."

His lips hovered over mine, eyes fixed on my own. "Forever it is."