Chapter Twenty Six

Adam barely talked to me when he returned with the pizza, and he talked even less to Bobby. The next morning the two brothers came to check on me, and when Bobby rushed out to go to work, Adam soon followed. It was as if he was afraid to be alone with me, and the feeling was only confirmed by the fact he darted down the stairs the following day to avoid walking out to the cars with me. I was shocked when Bobby called me around midday and told me he convinced Adam to go to dinner with me, Tara and him.

Tara came over to get ready like she always did, but for the first time ever I was a nervous mess.

"Help me!" I said as I flung another outfit on the bed and flopped down with my head in my hands. "I have no clue what to wear."

"Wow," Tara replied with her hands on her hips. "I've never seen you like this."

I looked up at her and huffed, throwing my hands up as I fought with the churning in my stomach.

"Alright, Alright!" she answered. Her laughter was obvious in her tone as she turned to my closet. "What are we looking for here? Sexy, coy, irresistible?"

"Lace," I said, sitting straight up. "Find me something with lace!"

Tara's eyes widened. "Sexy and sophisticated it is!"

She dug into the back of my closet and pulled out a blush pink sheath dress, which was overlaid in soft lace. The shoulders and what there was for a back were completely sheer.

"So?" she asked, looking from the dress to me and back again.

I squealed as I grabbed it from her. "I don't remember buying it, but hell yes!"

"Nude lipstick, and cat eyeliner—irresistible!"

"You're the best," I said, pulling her into a tight hug before rushing into the bathroom to change.

When I came out dressed and dolled up, she was sitting on the couch in a sapphire number that pulled the blue from her ever changing eyes.

"Now," she sat up; "you have to help me do my hair!"

I went to the bathroom and grabbed the curling iron, waving it with a smile as I walked back into the room.

"Curls?" she asked as she tapped her fingers against her thigh.

"Yup," I said as I leaned over and plugged it before running my fingers through her already waving hair. "I'll just give it a little bit more than what's natural."

I was happy to style her hair. It kept my mind off of Adam and settled some of the anxiety that kept bubbling in my insides and making me dizzy.

"I'm good," I said as I came to the front of her and took in the messy bun with light curls framing her heart-shaped face. "Go take a peek."

She squealed as she came out. "You're amazing!"

I took a bow. "Told you so!"

"Hello! Hello!" Bobby said as he barged in the door without knocking.

"What if we weren't ready?" I asked as I crossed my arms and popped my hip out.

"Sure as hell looks like you're ready!" Bobby replied, a whistle coming out of his lips as he looked between Tara and me.

I smiled at Adam behind him. He was only looking at me, and it made me want to rush into his arms and kiss him—to feel his skin against mine again.

Amazing he mouthed, and I tried not to show the breath I had to take.

Tara nudged my back and whispered, "I think it's working."

"Ditto," I replied.

"So where are you boys taking us tonight?" Tara asked, linking her arm through Bobby's.