Chapter Ten

We got home from the beach in enough time for me to shower and relax a bit before going to the dreaded dinner with Adam's parents. I sat on my balcony watching the sunset with my head tilted, so the sun washed over my face. I knew why Adam decided to drag me along—they were less likely to dig into him if I was there. Then again, if they did I was there for him to run away with.

I smiled at the thought, closing my eyes. As kids we always ran away together; to the lake, to the creek behind my house, to the tree house we hid in the woods—anywhere where it could just be him and I. Things were easier then, not complicated by feelings I knew I had but wasn't sure he did.

"You ready?" Adam asked, breaking my thoughts and causing me to open my eyes slowly. He hung half out the window with a grin on his face.

"Are you?" I asked.

Adam shook his head as he cracked his knuckles. "What do you think?"

"I'm looking forward to watching you play tonight," I said as I climbed back through the window, grabbing my purse and following him out to the living room.

"At least that makes one person," he said as he slung his guitar case over his shoulder and grabbed his mini-amp.

"What one did you bring today?" I asked, tapping on the black mesh fabric.

"The purple bass you got me," he answered with a wink. "Dad should love that shit. He'll probably believe I'm gay for real."

I stared at him before we started down the stairs. "If he lived across the hall from you he'd know there is no way in hell you're gay."

"What's that suppose to mean?"

I forced a fake, high-pitch giggle out and twirled an imaginary lock of long hair around my finger.

"Oh, Adam!" I purred, suddenly bold as I put my hand on his shoulder and leaned in to nip his neck. "Tell me how you're going to take all my clothes off!"

Adam's body went rigid in response to my playful tease and he coughed.

"Crap, Riv...did you really just bite me?" his voice was gravel as I jumped off the last step and turned to face him, hands on hips.

"Why? Did you like it?"

His eyes stayed locked on mine as his Adam's apple moved up and down.

"They never ask how I'm going to take their clothes off," he finally replied with his mouth playfully pursed at me, daring me to reply.

I was all in this game.

I raised an eyebrow before leaning up on my toes and placing my hands on his shoulders. My lips hovered inches over his as I seductively purred, "Oh, Adam—I can't wait to rip your clothes off!"

A smile spread across his thin lips, and he took a deep breath, nostrils flaring.

"That's more like it," he growled back at me, taking the last step and running his hand from my right hip across my stomach as he walked past me.

I literally stopped breathing as his touched seared not only my skin, but my mind, making it impossible to formulate any sort of reasonable response.

"You coming?" Adam called, and from the breeze coming over my shoulder and blowing my thin cotton shirt, I knew he was at the door waiting for me.

I looked like an idiot, for what, the millionth time this month? I squeezed my eyes shut before turning with a smile. I was definitely at the losing end of whatever game we somehow started.

"So you have any idea what you're playing for them tonight?" I asked as we fell into step with one another.

Adam opened the back door to his car, placing the amp on the floor and laying the bass guitar gently across the seats.