Chapter Forty Five

Fade Burn was growing in popularity, so much so that venues now were paying the band to play instead of it being the other way around. I'd become somewhat of a groupie as I watched in quiet wonder as they took flat air and made it into a symphony of drums, bass, voice, and guitar. The band was even beginning to build a fan base, selling out shows at the local venues as more and more people began to notice them, and I was starting to see that Adam was becoming addicted to it.

I couldn't blame him; the surprise on the faces of new comers and the awe in the eyes of diehard fans was hard to ignore. I also couldn't blame him for not pursuing it as a full time career. After one show he was exhausted, as if the energy from the crowd pulled directly through him.

Tonight was no different, and half-way through the set I knew he was getting tired. It was showing in his eyes, but not in his flawless voice. My heart was pounding with the beat, and I had a smile plastered on my face despite the nerves that were coursing through me as I wondered if Tara was going to keep up her end of the bargain. I didn't know how Adam was going to react to the situation, and I didn't know if he would be mad at me.

I saw the change in Adam's face immediately, and I knew Bobby had walked in. The band had just finished a song, and I watched as Adam adjusted his bass guitar strap—something I'd not seen him do all night. He called something to his band mates and they nodded.

I didn't have time to wonder what they were talking about because I felt Bobby's hand on my shoulder, and my eyes drifted to the floor as he leaned down.

"My girlfriend is a tricky one, but I think you had something to do with this too?" he asked before he slid into the chair next to me.

Tara took the seat on the other side of me, and her hand found mine under the table. She squeezed, and I squeezed back, neither of us willing to let go.

"I'm still mad at you," I replied.

He leaned over and kissed my cheek. "I'm sorry, River. I was irrational. I was mad. I've never lost a sport, especially not to Adam."

"It wasn't about that," I said, finally turning to look into those blue eyes. They darkened with his mood and were a deep sapphire against the dimly lit room.

His jaw tightened, and he nodded.

"No, it wasn't," he said.

"Was it worth it?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Nothing could be worth losing you and Adam."

I swallowed and turned back to face the stage as Adam's bass echoed through the room. The beat was familiar, and I knew the song he was about to sing. It was the same song he sung when he first kissed me.

When Adam's voice hit the air, and the words began to sink in I heard Bobby let out a surprised breath. I looked over my shoulder at Tara who was staring at Adam wide-eyed.

"Holy shit," she mouthed.

"Right?" I answered with a smile.

I glanced over my shoulder at Bobby to see his face averted. He no longer looked shocked as he stared down at his hands in his lap. His eyes paced as he listened, unblinking to the words of the song. I gave in then, seeing how much they upset him and put my hand over his.

His eyes slowly rose to mine, and he blinked quickly as if to keep tears away before saying, "I've been a shitty brother."

I shook my head and his eyebrows rose.

"Yeah, I have."

I heaved a sigh and nodded. "I think it'd help if he knew you felt that way."

He swallowed and looked away from me. "You'll have to convince him to listen to me."