Chapter Twenty Seven

The high from the previous night left me still smiling as I stared at my computer screen adjusting the colors for the Marquee's advertisements.

"Knock knock," Jesse said from the door.

I turned in my chair and smiled up at him. "Here to check on those bold colors and black and whites?"

"What? I can't just come in and say hi to one of my best employees?" Jesse asked as he pushed his shoulders up.

"Mhmm," I said with a roll of my eyes as I turned back to the computer screen and leaned to the side so he could see the files. "What do you think?"

"Epic," Jesse said, pointing to the name. "It's exactly what I was picturing. I love this font you chose for the name, it's edgy."

I spun back around to see his face plastered with an arrogant smirk."You know me—I'm all up in the coolest things."

Jesse's grey eyebrows rose into his forehead as he repeated me. "All up in the coolest things?"

I nodded, wiggling my own eyebrows at him.

I watched as he leaned back against my desk. "That statement says otherwise."

I let my eyes rise to his silver hair bore replying, "You're an old man, you wouldn't know!"

Jesse nodded, lips pursing. "Not the first time I've heard that this week. My ten year old told me I was so not cool."

I laughed as I turned back to my screen, watching as he walked to the front of my desk. "Ten year olds are hard to please."

"You know it," he said as he sat and narrowed his eyes at me. "So, you're glowing?"

"Whatever do you mean?"

He tapped his finger against his lip before asking, "You and Adam?"

"Maybe," I answered, drawing out the words as the smile spread across my whole face.

"What did I tell you?" he said, crossing his arms so his suit seams pulled.

"I guess I should've trusted the old man."

"Damn right!" Jesse said as he stood. "Don't forget it...Speaking of the devil!"

I turned in my chair just as Adam sauntered in past Jesse who clapped him on his back.

"Hey," he said as he sat down on the edge of my desk and leaned down to kiss me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, and I felt the warmth travel up my cheeks as I watched the girl in the cubicle across from my office narrow her eyes at me.

"What? I can't visit my girlfriend at work and bring her out to dinner?" he asked as his eyes trailed down my body to my crossed legs.

I looked down at my watch to see it was five thirty. "I didn't even realize it was that late!"

Adam nodded over my shoulder at the files I showed Jesse. "Too hard at work, I see."

"Yeah, I just got them approved by Jesse, and I'm sending them off to get the files printed. The billboard is going to be right in Copley Square," I said.

My chest tightened at the thought of my advertisement being in the middle of Boston. It was a good thing Jesse trusted me.

"I'm assuming the guy that who just left was Jesse then?"

I nodded, and his lips twitched at their edges.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"He's kind of good looking?"