Chapter Forty Seven

I realized Adam's accusation that I hadn't truly forgiven Bobby was true; after all, I hadn't made an effort to make things like they used to be. I was really only just tolerating him, and I knew the only way to make Adam forgive his brother was to do it myself. I made up my mind, and as I turned from locking the apartment door I saw Bobby's hunkering frame closing his own door.

"You!" I yelled from across the hall at Bobby's back.

He turned and threw his hands up. "What?"

"We need to go out," I said, walking up to him and pressing my finger into his chest.

"Why?"

"Because we haven't since you and Adam decided to be big boys and get over yourselves," I said as he looked down at my finger with a raised eyebrow.

He flicked my hand away. "Bossy Boss is back."

"That's right!" I replied. "So dinner?"

"I'm at your disposal, as always," he said as he moved the hair that had fallen in his face back with a gentle smile. He hadn't cut it in quite some time, but the way it fell now worked for him. It accentuated his eyes and chiseled jaw line.

"Adam has band rehearsal tonight, so I say we go to that new Italian place downtown?"

Bobby looked down at his watch. "You think there'll be any reservations left?"

I raised my eyebrows, pulling my lower lip into my mouth as I tried to keep from smiling. "Know those killer advertisements that made it so everyone was talking about it?"

He chuckled as he slung his arm over my shoulders. "I can only guess who came up with those."

"That's right," I replied with a smile as we made our way downstairs.

"Did Adam leave for work early this morning?"

"Parent-teacher conferences," I said, and Bobby nodded.

"Dealing with parents is a giant pain in the ass!"

I nudged him the ribs. "See you and Adam do have something in common...besides me!"

"Ha ha," Bobby answered. "I get the parents that want to beat the crap out of each other...usually moms."

"Speaking of parents, how are yours doing?" I asked as we headed towards the cars.

"It's a bit rocky lately. They don't really understand what's going on with Adam, and you know Mom is bent on hating you."

"How is that any different than the last ten years that I've had boobs?" I said.

"True." Bobby smiled down at me as we reached his towering truck. "Hey, why don't I drive you in? Then I can pick you up, and we can go straight to dinner?"

"I'd like that," I said with a smile.

"You need me to help you in?" he teased.

"I can handle myself, thank you!"

"Sure you can," he laughed under his breath.

Once the truck roared to life and we were on the road Bobby glanced over at me with a more serious look. The easy happiness that sunk in from my relaxed greeting seemed to have drifted away.

"Have you forgiven me yet?" he asked.

I felt my jaw clench as I looked at him. In order to, I needed to confront him about everything.

"For what?" I asked, and the words were more severe than my tone. I was trying to be honest, not an asshole. "Trying to rip Adam and me apart? Or annihilating my relationship with my parents? Or using my best friend as a pawn in your sick game?"