Chapter Forty Nine

I woke the next morning barely knowing how we'd gotten from the garage back to the apartment. I figured at some point I fell asleep in Adam's arms, and he carried me to the car and then up the stairs without waking me. I blinked my eyes against the bright sunlight that streamed through the curtains and let out a contented breath. I couldn't help the smile on my face as I heard the sound of Adam in the kitchen, along with Bobby and Tara's laughter as he told them something funny.

I rolled out of bed and was glad Adam closed the bedroom door, because all I had on was the blanket we'd been wrapped in. I slipped on a pair of yoga pants and one of Adam's comfy sweatshirts before joining them.

Tara was the first one to turn, eyes narrowed with a smile. "You never sleep in—something must have tired you out!"

Adam chuckled softly in front of the stove and Bobby gagged.

"Come on, seriously?" Bobby asked.

Adam looked over his shoulder at me with a wink, and I couldn't help but giggle to myself. Bobby's upper lip twitched, and he shook his head.

"Don't act so innocent," Tara said, spinning in the chair to face Bobby and wrap her arms around his bulky shoulders.

Bobby raised his eyebrows and pulled her into his arms, kissing her brazenly in front of us.

I averted my eyes as I walked past them and kissed Adam's cheek.

"And I thought you were a freak," I teased him.

"Hey, you're the one that seduced me on a rooftop," he fired back so only I could hear.

"I'd do it again," I said as I bumped my hip against his, looking down at the French toast. "Especially if it means you make breakfast."

"We'll need to burn it off later," Adam said as he pointed the spatula at me with one eye closed.

"Mhmm," I said as I wrapped my arms around a cup of coffee, one eye brow raised as I thought of what I could do to him. The sound of Bobby sucking off Tara's face stopped me mid-thought.

"Are you guys going to stop?" I asked over Adam's shoulder. "Or do you need to go back home? It is right across the way."

Bobby came up for air.

"Sorry, French toast makes me horny."

We all burst into a fit of laughter at the awkward comment.

"I'm not making it on Christmas then...and I was going to do Eggnog styled toast," Adam said.

"Speaking of Christmas...what are we going to do?" Bobby asked before taking a big bite of his food.

Adam and I looked at each other.

"Neither of us has been invited anywhere," I replied.

Tara looked down at her food. "Why don't we just do something here? Then Bobby and I can do New Year's with the parents?"

"Mom will probably blow a gasket if you guys don't show for Christmas," Adam answered. "Plus, you can't change your plans when it's next week."

He handed me my plate with a sad smile as we leaned on the opposite side of the island from Tara and Bobby.

The room was silent for a moment before Bobby spoke, "Screw it! I'm not letting you spend Christmas alone."

"Don't worry about it," Adam said. "Riv and I have each other."

"No," Bobby pushed. "We're a family. We're spending it together."

"Good luck getting Mom and Dad here," Adam chuckled, but it was pained.

I watched as Bobby's lips curled downward and he shook his head. "No, I mean us four. We're a family. We got over our issues with each other because that's what family does."

I let a deep breath out and smiled. Adam locked eyes with his brother.

"Thanks," Adam said.

Bobby nodded before cramming another whole piece of gooey toast into his face.

"So..." Bobby continued through his mouthful, "Eggnog toast? Sounds fabulous."

Adam leaned over and whispered in my ear, "Hide the mistletoe, K, babe?"

I nodded as his lips grazed my earlobe.