Chapter Eleven

The next morning I collected myself enough to crawl out of bed, shower and shove more makeup than necessary on my face.

I looked like hell. The blood vessels under my eyes had popped, like they usually did when I sobbed, but it had been a long time since I'd cried like that. When I looked at the clock I had more than enough time to make breakfast and a pot of coffee, but I just didn't feel like it.

I needed a Starbucks™. I grabbed my purse and headed out the door.

"Power suit?" Bobby said, making me jump as I locked my door.

"Sure," I replied as I turned to face him and headed down the stairs.

"Wait up, Jesus! What's wrong with you?"

"You know where your parents were last night?" I asked as my ears began to pound.

"Sure, they were at the hockey game."

I turned, jabbing my finger in his eye-level chest. I had enough of everyone's games, and Bobby had just confirmed my intuition. It was going to be bad for him, which was fine with me because it was half his fault anyways. He'd known where Adam was going, and still didn't say anything to remind their parents.

"What?" I asked, my voice pitched and shook with anger.

He threw his hands up, stepping back and asking, "Whoa there! What the fuck did I do?"

"Let me get this straight. Your parents were at a hockey game?" The words were toned with my angry Boston accent and Bobby cringed.

He knew what the accent meant. Trouble.

"I think I'm missing something?" he asked.

"Oh, bullshit!" I said as I stepped forward, looking up at him. "You know exactly where they were supposed to be!"

Bobby's chest rose and fell with the flaring of his nostrils. "And why the fuck do you have all that makeup on?"

"That's none of your business," I said through clenched teeth.

He grabbed my chin in his hands. "You were crying."

I pulled away from him, shoving my hands against him. "Don't you dare change the subject! You knew where your parents were supposed to be, yet you still made them forget their obligations to their other son—or have you forgotten that he exists just like them!"

Bobby pushed past me, and I had to grab the rail to keep from falling.

"We all know for God-damned sure that you could never forget about him!" he shot back over his shoulder.

I watched him leave out the door, and slammed the back of my head against the wood-paneled wall as the tunnel vision set in.

"River?" Adam's voice came from the landing above.

I ran my hands through my hair as I started back down the stairs.

"I'm not strong enough for this," I said to myself.

"Don't walk away from me!" Adam called at my back, and I could hear his feet take the steps two at a time.

"Listen," he began, pausing as we reached the bottom floor at the same time, and he jumped in front of me to block my exit.

I looked down at him as he rubbed his forehead with his hand.

"We can forget about last night, but you don't have to fight all my battles for me. There's no reason for you to get mad at Bobby because of me."

"You heard that?" I asked, and in an instant I was mortified by my actions.

He shrugged. "I appreciate it, but when I got home they were there celebrating with him. I've been strong about it for years. Last night was just a weak moment."

My heart stopped. Then I was right. It was just a weak moment, and nothing to think too much about. Yet I couldn't stop thinking about it—his hands on my hips, body hard against mine.

I blinked hard. "Okay."

Nothing was okay, but I couldn't think of anything else to say.

"I'll walk you to your car?" he asked, but I shook my head.

"I'm on the other side of the lot from your car."

His brow furrowed, and I knew why—my assigned parking was next to him.

"I'll see you later then?" His eyes searched mine.

"Sure."

Not if I could avoid it.