Chapter Twelve

When I got to work I buried myself in finalizing the pictures for the grand opening of the Sincere salon. The only issue was the fact the pictures were romantic. I closed my eyes as I flicked past the ones of Adam and me. We looked like we were in love, and it just reminded me I certainly was. I found my fingers on my lips as my mind wandered to that kiss.

I imagined it in my head since I was twelve—since the day I realized boys weren't just someone to play hockey with. I peeled my eyes back open and let them wander to the photographs of Adam, then myself and back to the ones he swore were needed to balance everything. I took a deep breath to steady my thudding heart as I thought of how long it had taken to figure out the timing setting on the camera to get the shots just right. We'd laughed as we struggled to reach each other's arms before the timer was up. Those pictures didn't work for the shoot, but in my mind they were the best.

They captured the happiness that Adam made me feel 99.9% of the time. The only time I was miserable was like now, when I couldn't get the thought of what if out of my head; when I couldn't stop thinking about the lush feeling of his lips against mine.

"Now, that!" Jesse's voice boomed over my shoulder as I adjusted the contrast on a picture of Adam. "That's perfect!"

I jumped, my face flushing with the thought. I took a breath to settle myself before looking over at him leaning against the doorframe with arms crossed as he beamed.

"I love that," he said before striding into the room to take a closer look.

"Really?" I asked as I turned in my chair to face him.

"You have to use it. The clients will love it," he said with a nod.

"You're the boss," I answered. "You want to see the other ones I chose?"

"Of course!"

I clicked through the files.

"I like them. Go back to the one of you and the hot dude you're in love with," he said, and my finger hovered over the mouse. I didn't want to go back to it. I never wanted to see it again; to feel the emotions I felt in those moments.

Finally I managed to force my finger down to click back. "I'm not in love with him."

"And he's not in love with you either," Jesse said as his eyes widened at me.

"As far as I know he's not."

Jesse stared at me a moment before he shook his head and pointed to the photo. "Can you revert this back to color, and then dim the color so it looks a bit vintage?"

I did as he instructed, and he straightened his back.

"Perfect, now send them to the printer so we can get the files for the grand opening."

He began to head out the door but then turned.

"Oh, and by the way your new name plate will be coming in soon."

I shook my head in question.

"Lead Brand Expert and Photographer," he said.

I opened my mouth but nothing came out.

"Ten percent raise will be in your next pay check, Chao!"

He left me sitting there in shock. I turned back to the screen with my hand over my mouth as I stared at the picture Jesse loved so much.

Adam had his forehead pressed to mine and our eyes were closed as my hands entwined in his over his heart.

It screamed love, so why was it breaking my heart?