Chapter Nineteen

When I rolled over in bed the next morning the last thing I thought I would see was a text from Andy on my phone.

We need to talk. Is it okay if I pick you up for coffee at 10 from your work?

I let a breath out as I stared at the ceiling. I could break it off with him face to face then. I squeezed my eyes shut praying maybe that was what he wanted to do anyways.

Sure. I replied before getting out of bed to put on my workout clothes. At least I could burn off some anxiety about the situation. Halfway through my workout Bobby stuck his head in.

"Hey," he said with a smile made of half teeth, half lips and completely awkward. There was no doubt this was going to be an interesting conversation.

"Come in," I said, grabbing the remote and shutting the TV off before flopping on the couch.

Bobby stared down at me, rocking on the balls of his feet as if he didn't know what to do with himself. That was unusual in and of itself. Bobby never lacked confidence in what he said. I patted the seat next to me as I pulled my feet to my chest.

"You look nervous," I said as he finally took a seat.

"I'm just confused," he managed to say.

"About?"

"I don't want to fight, but I want to call you out," he answered, leaning forward and clasping his hands together.

He cut his sandy blond hair back, but his five o'clock shadow was looking more and more like a permanent fixture on his face. I leaned back before letting my eyes drift down to his as he looked at me over his shoulder.

"Andy," I said.

"I don't think he's your type," Bobby replied with his eyes locked on mine. He was right, but I couldn't face telling him that.

I stood and ran my hands through my hair before turning to him. "At least you and Adam agree on one thing."

"You don't need to get back at both of us by dating someone like that," he said, and his body tensed as he waited for my reaction.

"What's so bad about him?"

"All money; no brains."

I smirked at the comment. "Yeah, you're probably right about that."

"Why are you dating him? Physically he's the exact opposite of what you like—I should know. You've never been into me, and I'm not even as huge as him."

"Tara set us up," I explained with my hands on my hips.

"That makes sense. He's totally her type," he said. "I just don't want to see you settle because Adam's still playing the field."

My breath caught in my throat. It was as if he was saying Adam might come to his senses, and he wasn't acting completely nuts about the thought. I sat back down, and he finally relaxed, leaning back and putting his arm over the back of the couch.

"What are you saying?" I asked.

"I'm saying you've waited what, ten years so far?"

"You hate the idea of Adam and me."

Bobby burst into a full smile. This one wasn't awkward, but it was diabolical paired with the twinkle in his eyes. "You have no idea how much I despise the idea, and I have no idea how I'd react—it wouldn't be pleasant."

I leaned back, my head dropping on his arm as I looked at the ceiling and then let pressed my chin on my shoulder so I was looking at him. "Thanks for the warning."

"I do want you to be happy, River. I fully believe I could be the guy to do it for you if you'd let me," Bobby's eyes locked on mine before he continued; "but I'm not going to force that on you."

My eyes drifted away as I carefully measured my response. I had to decide between being truthful and being nice.

"Really? Because sometimes it really feels like you are—like you flipping out at me at the grand opening, for example."

Bobby's large chest rose, making the fabric of his shirt pull tight. "Yeah...I told you it wouldn't be pleasant. That's just me thinking about the possibility Adam could have you."

Silence fell over us, and I looked down at my shoes, playing with the laces before I glanced up at him. I took in his strong jaw line, haunting blue eyes and full lips. Gorgeous but nothing. I felt nothing.

It had been years since I said it, but I needed him to hear the words now and see in my eyes that I meant it. "Bobby, I love Adam."

"And I love you, River."

I looked down at my hands. "Will things always be this twisted?" I asked.

Bobby pulled me into his arms, kissing my head.

"I'm afraid so, but maybe if you became a fatty I'd be less attracted to you," Bobby replied.

I yanked away from him and thumped him on the chest. I knew not to hit too hard for fear of seriously hurting myself. "You're an ass, you know that?"

He winked at me. "A cute ass, don't you think?"

I rolled my eyes and he stood, wagging his butt as he made his way to the door.

"Cute, huh?" he asked again as he slipped out the door.

I picked up one of my decorative pillows and chucked it at him just as he shut it behind him. I couldn't help the smile on my face. The Beckerson boys had equal shares of my heart. One half was reserved for loving Bobby as my best friend and the other half was silently reserved for Adam. I rubbed my neck. If only he would take me up on it.