Chapter Fourteen

I looked in the mirror and heaved a sigh before slipping into my snakeskin pumps. I decided to go with a dash of mascara, red lipstick and a teal one-strap dress that flowed off of my hips. I took one last look; I might have looked pretty, but I felt like hell.

I closed the door to the apartment, clutch in hand, to hear a whistle behind me.

"Wowza!" Bobby said, and as I turned he was leaned against his door, arms crossed, eyes wide. "Where are you going looking like that?"

"I've got another ticket if you can stick a button-up and a tie on," I said as I pulled the two tickets out.

"I'll be out in five minutes," he replied as I let my shoulders slump.

I wouldn't have to endure this alone.

When he came back out he'd fluffed his hair, sprayed on some cologne and was wearing a white button-up ready to bust at the shoulder seams with a skinny blue tie that played off the color of his eyes.

"How do I look?" he asked, sauntering over to me and holding out his arm.

"Like good arm candy," I said as I slipped my arm easily into his massive one.

"Diddo on that one, Madame. So what is this thing we got all dolled up for?"

I cringed as I said, "The grand opening of the salon."

"The one I gave you a nice black eye for?" Bobby asked, his body tensing.

"You can still back out."

"Nope, I screwed up enough on that one. I'll support you for this portion of it."

"Thanks," I said, resting my head on his arm as we walked down the stairs. It was moments like this with Bobby that I loved. He made everything hard easier with his smile and ability to make a joke over everything. I breathed in, sighing. This wouldn't be so bad with him by my side to support me.

"Of course," he replied, his voice quiet. "You seem like you don't want to go."

I took a deep breath to compose myself, and he pulled away to open the door. His eyes searched mine as I walked by him.

"It's not that," I managed to say.

I looked up and Bobby cleared his throat, eyebrows drawn together.

"Fine, I'm not really looking forward to it," I admitted.

"And why is that?" Bobby asked, taking his keys from his pocket and unlocking his over-sized truck.

I jumped up into my seat and waited for him to slide into the driver's side. As he turned the key in the ignition he looked at me, eyes blinking in expectation of my answer. My jaw slackened, and I felt sweat building on my brow. The images flashed in my mind, and I wondered if this was a bad idea. How would he react to those images? I swallowed as I looked straight ahead and tried to think of an excuse. "I've never seen my photography on display like that."

Bobby reached out and squeezed my thigh. "It's going to be great!"

"If you say so." I looked down at my hands in my lap before changing the subject. "Tell me about this new girlfriend of yours?"

"Her name is Jackie—she's a teacher at the high school," Bobby answered, his eyes straight ahead and unenthusiastic.

"And?"

"And what?"

"It doesn't seem like you're thrilled," I said.

His lips were pursed and he scrounged his nose up. "She's a control freak."