Chapter 4

We finish the dishes and get ready to go back, when we hear a loud boom from the deck. The ship shakes slightly. We look at each other. "What the hell?" I ask.

"We might be under attack come on." he grabs my hand, pulling me.

"Attack?" I yell over the noise.

"Probably the Rika, rival pirates." he tells me, still holding my hand. I blush at the contact, but I don't let go. "I should warn you, their captain, Alan, likes women, be careful." he finishes as we make our way up the stairs, on to the deck.

Pirates were flooding over from another ship. I saw Chris fighting with his fist, Thomas with a wooden sword. Captain Morgan fighting with a sword, and was fighting a big woman. Russell was fighting with two swords, and fighting two people, twins by the look of it. I heard shots ring out, and glanced up, seeing Eduardo firing a pistol. I glanced at Nathan. He pulls out a sickle on a chain, nodding to me, and I pull out my swords as we prepare to jump into the fray.

Me and Nathan end up fighting back to back, working quite well together. My swords clanging with other swords. I feel alive, being able to fight freely, next to Nathan. I only wound slightly, mostly finding ways to knock the enemies swords away.

"You fight well Arabella." Nathan comments smiling.

"Not so bad yourself pretty boy." I tease. I hear him laughing behind me, I smile.

"Shit someone help Thomas!" we hear Russell shout.

I look over to see Thomas cornered by the railing, surrounded by four big pirates. I gasp. Nathan hears me, looking that way too. "Shit. Damn. I'll be alright, go help Thomas." Nathan directs.

I run towards Thomas, swords ready. I take on two, while Thomas takes on the other two. I send both my opponents overboard, and Thomas is finishing his last one. I look around, seeing if anyone else needs help. The Rika crew was already mostly retreated. I threw a dagger as I ran to help Russell, stopping the pirate approaching him from behind. He turns around and smiles. I help him finish off the crowd around him, and was heading back towards Nathan, when a man with long dark hair, and a captains hat stepped in my way. "Who's this lovely woman? A new addition?" he smiles at me.

I cringe and raise my swords. "Captain Alan I presume?" I ask snarkily. He smiled at me.

"Oh come on, how about you join me on my ship?" he asks.

"No thanks." I say, and move to fight him. He blocks me, and we parry for a bit. I finally knock his sword away and move past him. He grabs my wrist and pulls. I pull back. Then I hear a chain, as Alan is pulled to the ground.

"Don't touch her you sick bastard." Nathan growls. I look up realizing it was his chain. I smile. "Thanks Nathan." he nods, blushing. He's so cute, but kinda shy. I'm not the damsel in distress type, but I didn't mind Nathan's help. We turn around and head back towards everyone.

We should have paid better attention. Suddenly, five men appear surrounding all of us. Simple enough we think, to take them out. We get ready to attack, when Alan draws our attention. "I wouldn't if I were you." He yells. We look and are shocked to see, he's holding Thomas, backing away with a knife to Thomas's throat. Fuck.

"What do you want Alan?" Morgan asks, exasperated.

"The girl." he says snarkily

Eduardo cocks his gun, Nathan raises his sickle, and exclaims "Fuck off." I smile at the boys. But Alan presses the knife closer. Shit. I have an idea, but it's a little risky. I'd reveal some of my abilities, but I can't let the kid die. I look at my mates. "You guys can take these five?" I ask.

"We could, but if we move he might hurt Thomas." Russell answers.

"I'm gonna make the first move." I say. "I've got two ways to play this." I look at all of them.

"Whatever is less risky for Thomas." Russell says. I nod.

"We'll follow you, he won't take you." Nathan adds. "Okay."I smile.

"Alright." I yell. Alan looks surprised "let Thomas go!" I yell, taking a step forward.

"Not until you are by me." he replies. Dammit. Bastard. Option two it is.

"Fine!" I yell. To my mates I whisper. "Get ready, I'll get him out, and get the first hit in, but I'll need help." They all nod.

I walk towards Alan, the five following behind me. We almost reach Thomas. I feel my cards in my pocket. I take one and slip it between my fingers in my pocket. I grab my staff, getting ready to extend it. I extend my staff to full length, and whip out one card. "Thomas duck and run!" I yell. I let the kinetic energy flow through me, like dad taught me. I charge the card, throwing it towards Alan, on the left side of him, away from Thomas. Alan is so startled he lets Thomas go, and he runs. I use my staff to hoist myself up, kicking out with both legs, at the five behind me, kicking them all. the boys rush forward, and it finishes quickly. The Rika leaves.

"Well done Arabella!" Captain yells. "A party is in order tonight! To celebrate our newest member, and Thomas's safe return." Morgan announces. Everyone cheers, and I smile. "Definitely Gambit's daughter." Morgan adds. I nod, knowing he meant I got my father's ability.