Chapter 26

( Russell's POV)

                       * Hour and a half before fight, a little before dinner * 

                     I walk back and forth down the hall from the infirmary, pacing restlessly, while Christopher checks over Kris. He kicked me out, because I was getting in the way. I mean, I know doc is good at what he does, and he reassured me it was most likely just a sprain, but I couldn't help worrying about her just the same. I almost had a heart attack during the event watching her fall, and try as I might to pretend otherwise, she scared me. I wasn't used to this feeling, worrying about someone so much. I know it's because I fell for her. It's an amazing feeling, yet terrifying at the same time, especially because I don't know how she feels. 

                  I look up, and see Penelope and Eduardo coming my way. Penelope stops, meeting my gaze, and gives me a small smile. 

                  "Kris is tough Russ, she'll be alright. Don't worry so much. Doc said it's just a sprain, so you can go see her now I think." She says kindly, before walking off towards the dining room with Eduardo. 

                  I breath a sigh of relief, before sprinting off towards the infirmary. I stop just outside the doorway though, when I hear a voice that isn't Kris or Doc's. I quietly peek into the doorway, to of course, find Nero reached her first, once again. I stay where I am, not daring to move. Hell, he pisses me off to high hell, hanging around her all the time. I feel my fist clenching, as I try to calm myself, knowing it won't do me any good to go storming in there all pissed off, especially right after she got hurt. 

                 "I want ya to come with me Kris. When all this is over and you're healed, I want ya to come back with me, to run the Red Fang." Nero says meeting Kris's gaze. He looks at her fondly, and I can tell he likes her too. Damn bastard trying to take her away from all of  us... away from me. I can feel myself starting to get pissed off again, watching them, as he reaches a hand up, and cups her cheek. My heart sinks in my chest when she doesn't move his hand. She doesn't say anything for a moment.

                   "I...I don't know Nero."She starts, but is cut off, when Nero suddenly leans down, and kisses her, bringing his lips down on hers. 

                  My chest hurts watching, and I honestly don't know what to do anymore. Maybe I'm being selfish wanting her to stay. Ultimately, I want her happy, and if it would make her happy to go, then I can't be selfish. If it's what she wants, I shouldn't try and hold her back, that would be selfish of me. It would hurt like hell to let her go, but I don't even know if she cares about me the same way.

                 I want to walk away now, but for some reason I stay and watch, even though it's like torturing myself. She gently pushes him away from her, not too hard, but enough to get him to back off. I can't even tell if she kissed him back, she might not have. "I... thanks but...that's a lot to.." She starts once again, and Nero shakes his head, cutting her off. 

                 "Just think about it, is all I'm asking." he says. I quickly turn around and head for the dinning room, and sit down for dinner.

                  Everyone chats excitedly, about their events. I don't say much, and kinda don't pay attention, lost in my own thoughts, as I keep thinking about Kris, and wondering if she's gonna leave. Dinner finishes in a blur for me, and afterwards, I catch Nero in the hallway alone.

                 Before I even know what I'm doing myself, I grab his shoulder, whirling him around, making him face me. Next thing I know, I punch him square in the side of his face, my knuckles hitting his jaw bone. I know that's gonna hurt me later, but I kinda don't care. "You bastard!" I yell at him, as I grab the front of his shirt, pulling him up, as I get ready to hit him again.