Chapter 33

(Arabella's POV)

We gasp in surprise, as Luna came up from under the water, for she flicked a tail, where her legs normally would be. A long, beautiful tail, from her waist down to where her feet would be. She had gills on her neck, and she eyed us as nervously, as her fingers played with her necklace once more.

"I just found out on our way here. When we stopped at port, I fell in the water, and the necklace glowed... Next thing I knew...." She trailed off shrugging. "Anyway.. I sent a letter to Talon. He wrote back. He explained, that our whole family were mer people, mermaids... They usually have a time period where they try living on land. I was born during that time period, so I never knew. He said the necklace helps control the transformation. He stayed on land, and our parents went back to the ocean, when they abandoned me all those years ago..." She explains, her brown eyes meeting our gazes.

"Well hell. Ladies we've got a mermaid aboard our crew." Penelope says, smiling at Luna.

Luna looked relieved at her words, returning Penelope's smile.

"So you can control it?" Cecilia asks,curious, gesturing to Luna's necklace.

"I can. With the necklace. It seems to be activated by touch, and water." She added, nodding.

"That's amazing Luna!" Allison exclaimed excitedly, smiling at Luna.

Everyone finished asking Luna questions, and I opened the bottle of vodka, passing the wine on to Cecilia, as I took a swig of the vodka. "Well since the pattern seems to be the person who shares picks the next person...." Luna trails off, looking at everyone, her eyes settling on Penelope. "Penelope?" She asks, meeting the emerald eyed girl's gaze.

"Well. Hmm. My turn for my story then huh?" She asks, laughing slightly. She stared off for minute, sadness touching her normally fierce emerald green eyes. "I come from a family of five." She starts, running a hand back through her hair. "My moms name was Stephanie, my dad was Ethan. Two brothers, the oldest is Jax, the youngest Zac, short for Zachary. I'm the middle child, and the only girl. When I was sixteen, we lost mom and dad." She stops, pausing, water in her green eyes, threatening to spill over. "It was their anniversary, and I encouraged them to go on vacation, so they went on a ship, since I never asked them for anything much growing up. Anyway... It was a few days after they were supposed to be back, Jax started to worry, though me and Zac waved it off, thinking they were still on vacation..." She paused, the brimming tears finally falling down her cheeks, and Cecilia went over, wiping her tears, drawing her into a hug. We all went over, taking turns hugging her.

She took a deep breath, before continuing her story once more. "We went on as normal, going to school, eating breakfast. It was about a week later, when Zac went to go grab the morning paper, and there was a big article. A group of kids found a big shipwreck, and it was the same ship our parents were on. There were no known survivors. At the time, we still hadn't made that connection, and it wasn't until we got a letter addressed to Jax, that we found out. They had both drowned, and Jax took over as our legal guardian...." She trailed off, a far off look in her eyes.

She blinked a few times, blinking back more tears, as she continued. My heart ached for all the girls, all seeming to come from a sad past, in one way or another. Though I suppose it's not a normal life that leads you to become a pirate.

"I broke down sobbing first, I felt like it was my fault.. I was the one that told them to go anyway." She adds, clearly starting to get upset once again.

"It's not your fault. You couldn't have known. It was an accident, one that was nowhere near your fault." I say suddenly, looking at Penelope.