Chapter 23

( Captain Morgan's POV ) 

                        We had reached the annual pirate games, and I couldn't believe how much had changed since we were last here. Our crew had been smaller then, and though it was lively, it was much livelier now, with our new additions. Our family had significantly grown since then, and changed for the better. If I know one thing, it's the guard I worked so carefully to put in place, is crumbling. I had always told myself that I would never open my heart again, after losing my first love, the princess I had loved so long ago. It was even worse after losing my brother, the real Morgan, and pirate king. It was after his death that i put the wall up, and also when I promised to take the role as Pirate King, basically, taking his identity. 

                        I look over at Cecilia, as she contemplates what to participate in. Her beautiful blue eyes narrowing as she reads the choices. She would never believe me if I told her I was serious about her. Hell, I don't blame her either. I always flirt, and I know what everyone thinks of me anyway. I know they see me as a womanizing drunk. Who can blame them? That's how I've lived my life since taking over for my brother. I lived it one day at a time, living in the moment, not daring to open up my heart again. It was easier to just enjoy a woman's company for one night, then move on. 

                        Besides not wanting to open my heart again, it's not an easy thing to be with the pirate king. It could end up a burden. She would be wanted even more by the navy, and a big target for rival pirates. No, no woman deserves that type of life. I'd never really planned on falling for someone again, but somehow, Cecilia managed to get past my walls, when I wasn't looking. The beautiful and kind blonde, with her intelligence, and sometimes fiery attitude, was one hell of a woman. She was just as brave as she was kind, and not afraid to speak her mind, or put a man in his place...I was done for the second she hit me, after trying to touch her, after she explicitly told me no funny business. 

                     "Don't they have anything besides the fighting, weaponry, and sports stuff?" Cecilia mutters as she flips through the pages again, and I can't help smiling at her, totally absorbed in what she's reading. 

                     "I'm sure they do... I'll go along with whatever you pick." I answer, not even bothering to flip through the choices myself. I truly didn't care, and would go along with whatever she wanted. 

                     She glances over at me, a slight blush creeping across her cheeks as she finally notices I've been watching her. "Well are you going to just stand there staring, or help me pick something?" she huffs, returning her attention back to the pages once more, and I can't help but laugh at her. 

                     She hears me, giving me a glare before rolling her eyes at me. "Honestly Morgan, do you take anything seriously?" she asks, exasperated, and before I can answer, something seems to have finally captured her interest. "Yes! A dance contest. Let's do it Morgan!" She exclaims excitedly, her beautiful blue eyes sparkling. 

                     I chuckle, drawing her closer. "Well if you insist Cecilia." I whisper, meeting her gaze. 

                     She pulls back, slapping me on the arm, with a SMACK. "Bish! You know I was talking about the dance contest, not that." she exclaims, her face crimson, and I can't help but chuckle at her reaction. I know I shouldn't tease her like that, especially if I want her to take me seriously, but I just can't help it sometimes.

                    "Alright, well lets head over there." Cecilia says, taking the arm I offer her reluctantly, as we head towards our event. As I look over at her, it's amazing to realize, that though I know I haven't known her long, I care deeply for this woman, and want to know everything about her.