Chapter 15

The next morning, we're startled awake, by a navy officer."Alright ya pirate scum! Get up, and wait in your cell by the door! Off to the gallows with ya!" they yell, and I immediately jump up, going to my door. I meet Thomas's gaze, and nod at him, telling him to be ready, it's now or never.

The guard slowly comes down the hall, stopping at each cell, and tying each prisoners hands behind them, and have them wait by the other guards. They finally get to me and Thomas, and we get in line with the rest of the prisoners, Thomas in front of me.

They lead us through the prison, navigating all the twist and turns of the hallways. it's a big place, we never would have found our way out on our own, so it's a good thing we waited. They finally lead us through a door that goes outside. I feel the warm sun on my face for the first time in a couple days, and it feels amazing. They lead us down a side street, heading towards the middle of town, but take us down the less crowded roads. We get about halfway there when our group is ambushed, a shot ringing out signaling an attack. What the hell?

I quickly push Thomas down in front of me, hoping he won't get shot in the cross fire. I jump down and lay on the ground as well. "What is going on?" Thomas yells over the noise.

"I'm not sure, but lets use it to our advantage." I tell him, shrugging. I take a second to look around, noticing for the first time that the people that attacked are pirates. Not just any pirates, but a combination of the Rika, and the Sirus. Holy shit. "Thomas it's the Rika and the Sirus crew!" I exclaim happily, never so glad to see another pirate in my life.

"Thomas! Arabella! You here?" I hear Russell yelling for us, as he fights two navy, taking them down quickly.

"Russell! We're here!" I shout back, and see him spot us, he starts walking this way. I watch Russell cut Thomas lose, and hand him a sword. I feel my ropes being cut, and turn around coming face to face with not Russell, but Nathan. Shit.

"Long time no see tomboy." he says, eyeing me warily. I'm sure it's because the last time we saw each other, it wasn't exactly on pleasant terms. He clears his throat."We've got some things to talk about, later. For now we need to fight, and I'll explain the rest later, but know this, it wasn't what you think, and I still love you okay?" he asks, meeting my gaze.

I nod. He hands me a sword, and I take it, and we go join the others in holding off the navy. I fight next to Nathan, and though I know he said we would talk later, I can't help but want to talk a little now. So as our swords clang with the navy, I start asking him questions.

"I know I agreed to later, but some things I need to know now Nate." I say, as I take down another officer, knocking him unconscious. "What was that with Sara? Do you love her?" I ask, getting straight to the point.

He chuckles suddenly."You ask me while we're in the middle a fightin' yer sometin' tomboy. Sara is just a friend, hell no, I don't love her. It's you I love tomboy." he answers, still laughing.

"I saw you giving her somethin' Nate. Didn't look like nothin' to me." I answer, not wanting to argue, but needing to desperately understand, before my heart shatters.

"No, ya got it all wrong. I was getting her opinion on somethin' that's all. A woman's perspective on something. I promise you, there's nothin' goin on with her. That's why I was tryin' to call ya back an explain. But ya had to be stubborn and run off, then get yourself caught by the damn navy." he explains, and I can hear the exasperation in his voice.

"Her opinion? And I didn't mean to get caught, but Thomas was in trouble, and I had to help him. Ended up shooting some asshole and got caught." I say, still fighting while I'm talking.

"Yea opinion. Fine I didn't want to ruin it but you're so damn stubborn. I got ya something, I'll show ya later, but I got ya something, and I wanted to have a girls opinion on whether I picked out something you might like." he admits sighing.

My heart soars at his admission. He wanted to get an opinion. He doesn't love her, and he's not leaving me. I'm so relieved, and I'm so happy my chest could burst. "I'm sorry I assumed shit Nate. I'm just so scared to lose ya." I admit.

"I'm not going anywhere tomboy. Not unless you're with me." he says, laughing, and I find myself grinning.

"I just, thought for a minute you might want someone more feminine that's all." I admit, feeling stupid now.

He snorts."I fell for you because you're different than that, and I wouldn't change you at all. I like that you can fight with me tomboy, plus you are still feminine, whether you see it or not." he adds, and I smile even more hearing those words. "Anyway, there's too many now, we need to start making a run for it, okay?" he tells me, grabbing my hand, and we start to run.

The rest of our crew and the Rika starts breaking off from the fight, running down an alley and towards the docks. I see a few Navy chasing us, but they all can't leave the rest of the prisoners, so it's a more manageable number. I see the ship, and most of the navy are too far behind us. We almost reach it, When I spot on navy officer coming out of an alley not that far in front of us. He raises his gun, and it's aimed directly at Nathan. Shit.

I jump forward with everything I've got, shoving Nathan forward. I hear the shot ring out, and also I hear Nathan exclaim."What the hell tomboy?" as he looks back at me. I feel a sharp sting in my side, that turns into a constant burning. Shit. I fall to the ground, and I feel the burning get worse.

I feel arms lift me up, and start carrying me. I feel something wet trickling down my side, and I know it's blood. I look up at Nathan, and I can see the panic in his eyes. "Stay with me tomboy, stay with me." he says, and I can hear his voice start to crack.

Black dots start to cloud my vision, and it's getting harder to keep my eyes open... they feel so heavy, everything feels too heavy, and I lean into Nathan's chest. "You stay awake you hear me? Stay awake." I hear Nate telling me, but I don't know how much longer I can. It's too heavy, and I'm starting to lose focus...

"Nate....Love you..." I manage to say, looking up at him.

His eyes widen."Don't you dare leave me Arabella. Don't you dare. Stay awake dammit!" he shouts at me, and his brown eyes are the last thing I see before I lose consciousness.