Chapter 26

I sat on the stripped chair in the overly colorful store; pink, baby blue, stripes, and a little bit of chevron covered every piece of this store. I'm not quite sure how they managed to pull off this design, but I'm only slightly cringing. The pot lights on the ceiling illuminated the decorative clothes beautifully, but I'm still ready to leave this place.

Roman arrived about 10 minutes after my father and I. He wore dark jeans, a grey top and a hoodie, he honestly looks like he's just gotten up from lazing around, he probably has. The sales associate came to ask us if we needed any help, but father turned her down for the moment, I don't know why, we need the help. The sales associate in his vibrant Kate Spade pink button down smiled at Roman as he walked away, my eye twitched only slightly.

My father went to go grab something before he remembered that he asked for my help for a reason. "What size is your mother?" I made a face of disbelief towards my father. Out of all the questions ... how was he expecting to shop for her?

"How do you not know mothers size?" He looked away as he cleared his throat.

"The last time I shopped for your mother she was in her 20's, her figure has changed since then". Damn dad.

"Are you trying to call her fat?"

"No I am-"

"You're calling her fat dad."

"I am not calling your mother fat", he stated matter of factly. "Of course she's not a size four anymore, but she's not fat at all, trust me I know. She has lovely curves, she's only gained beauty with age".

I chuckled a little at my fathers words. Nice save. "I'm assuming you'd like me to slide it to her that you've said this?"

"I wouldn't accept anything less from you". I shook my head at my fathers antics. He may not remember much about mothers size, what she likes in fashion, her favorite perfume, or really anything too feminine, but he loves her, and I love that he loves her. He remembers enough to be able to keep their fire going. I really do appreciate having two parents that love each other. I wonder how Jess is coping with his parents divorce right now.

"She's a size 10, but her waist is a small for her body, so try to find something that accentuates that area. Every time she takes me shopping she asks how her waist and rear look".

He laughed his eyes lighting up a little. "You do tell her that she looks nice don't you?"

"If I say she doesn't she just tells me to try again". He smiled wide showing off his whitened teeth. His cheeks reddened a little as a younger woman smiled at the comment I made of my mother.

"Well I will go look by myself before I try to ask for your help". I nodded my head and walked off to Roman who was looking across the street with his hands in his hoodie pockets.

I wondered what he was thinking of, he seemed to be deep in his thoughts. "What are you looking at?"

"I need to go into Gucci". Gucci, since when does Roman like Gucci. He's one of the few people I know that's not too fond of the store, he only likes their sunglasses. I wouldn't even know this if my mother and he hadn't talked so much about fashion with each other when I was around when he used to live out here.

"Getting yourself something?"

"A friend". There really wasn't much to go off of from the familiar deep tone of his voice, so I jumped to conclusions because it's fun to mess with him.

"Oooh, what kind of friend hmm", I taunted bumping his shoulder.

"Just a friend". Once I saw the familiar squint in his eyes I knew exactly who he was talking about. He may not be an open book, but I've known him long enough.

"You know Chad isn't one to be bought".

"What are you-"

"Roman I know it's Chad". He always gets this look when he's jealous of who's taking his best friends time. He's never liked to share anything really, I wouldn't expect that to change for his best friend. Even when we first became good friends he didn't like for me to hang out with anyone but him or Chad. He's not obvious with his jealousy, but he knows how to get his way without anyone even thinking anything of it. I've always been cautious of Roman, so I've just always tended to notice these things. Chad is oblivious to his possessiveness.

"It's just ... he's spending all of his time with his boy - his new friend. I'm his friend and I haven't seen him in forever, and he's throwing me to the side. That's just ...", he shook his head cutting off his statement. That's the most he's ever expressed himself, he's either feeling bold or really out of it.

"You always have been possessive of him I should've known". I should've suspected that he'd ask about Chad, everybody cares about Chad. Can someone fucking care about me?

He paused evaluating me hesitantly. He always does this when he's not sure of a situation or a statement. He watches what he says, he plans everything too much, and it just ends up coming out as too little. "What do you mean?"

"Chad has always been your friend, your partner in crime, your study buddy. You've never liked when he was with someone that wasn't you for too long". Roman's eyes squinted slightly and his lips parted in confusion.

"What the fuck man, that's not true. He's just my friend, you're making him sound like my chick, I'm not like you guys, I just miss him". I rolled my eyes subtly, he's so annoying, why am I friends with him?

"Whatever, but he's not going to want something Gucci". He huffed and groaned. He sat down on the plain sofa, me following in his stead.

He brought his hand up to wipe the side of his mouth. "Last I remember, Chad loved the finer things in life".

Chad did-does, but it's not as important to him. "Yea, he's grown out of that faze".

His eyes quickly flustered with a look of surprise before he naturally covered it. "Then what would he like?"

"Some old record, I think he actually likes Ella Fitzgerald, or Nat King Cole. I caught him listening to it one day, but he won't fully admit to liking it, I don't I know why. Anyways that and he likes those tin chocolates".

"Chocolate seems romantic". I looked at him with amusement present in my eyes. I love fucking with him, his not really there emotions are amusing.

"I really don't like him like that man, I have nothing against you, but I'd just rather not", he answered calmly. His face and body looked strained and tense so I decided I'd stop messing with him.

"He really does like those things, I wasn't messing around with that, but if you really feel the need to get him something expensive then get him a scarf from whistles. He lost his last month and he still hasn't gone back to get a new one". Chad is always loosing something, I'm surprised he hasn't lost his phone yet.

"I'm surprised you know all of this". The side of his lip barely curved up but I could see it -- no I don't like Chad, he needs to reevaluate that thought.

"He complained for a week, he loved that scarf". He nodded his head in understanding.

"Thanks for the info, anyways, you want to tell me about this new guy?" Of course he won't just ask me to tell him about the guy his best friend is infatuated with, he has to suggest it. He's too timid.

"Not really, it's complicated". My father called me and we both turned to see him holding about 3 dresses.

"Just to let you know, I'm rooting for you". I smirked and bit my lip slightly.

"You just want your best friend back".

"Yea ..."