Chapter 8 (Edited)

(Back to Jess's POV)

-----

I had a rough night. I could remember busting my knuckles the day before and I was still tired. At least the hickeys slightly faded, but I'd still have to wear a scarf for today.

I was up early, so I decided to eat some breakfast. I went downstairs only to see my dad reading a book with a lamp light. Wait just how early is it? It's too damn early is all I know, it's still dark outside. "Hey dad", I tiredly breathed out.

"Morning son. Have a seat". He closed his book and room his glasses off. He look stressed.

"Everything alright?"

"I need to talk to you". He rubbed his hands over his face and poured a shot of scotch that I didn't even notice was there. What's going on, he never drinks unless it's for a special occasion.

"Okaaay". I watched his expressions for a while waiting for him to start. His eyes were puffy and he was slouched into the couch. He reeked of alcohol, and he had no work surrounding him.

"Well son I don't really know how to explain this, so I'll just say it .... Your mom and I ", he took a deep breath and looked down. "We're getting divorced Jess ... She's leaving me", he whispered the last part.

"What! Wait-huh? I-I don't understand, why? What's wrong?!" They're getting a divorce? Maybe this is just a phase that they're going through. They're getting tired of each other and they'll realize that this was a stupid thought once they start to love each other again.

"She loves someone else, back in San Francisco, and moving here made her realize that". He held no emotion in his voice and his eyes were dead. No he can't just give up that easily.

"Fight it! Fight the divorce!"

"No son-".

"Don't tell me no! If you really loved her you'd fight for her!" I was standing now, towering over my father. My father is not weak, he fights for what he wants; that's exactly why we're here, he wanted more. Doesn't he want to keep her?

"No! You don't tell me what to do. If I really loved her, how can you even say that! The whole reason I'm letting her go is because I love her! I don't want to force her into something she doesn't want. That's how much I love your mother, so if you ever accuse me of not loving her again, there'll be issues." Tears were falling from his face and his hands were shaking. "If she ever wants me again, I'd take her with open arms". I sat back down sighing deeply.

"That bitch-".

"Hey! She's still your mother".

"So, did the fact that she's probably had sex with that man kick in yet. Has it kicked in that she doesn't want to be with either of us anymore. She's a dumb whore. She can go to hell". My dad closed his eyes giving up on stopping my rant. I didn't mean what I was saying, but right now it felt so right to be coming out of my mouth. I went over to my dad and gave him the most emotional hug we have ever shared. We were both crying using each other as a reason to hold on to our sanity.

"Don't think I didn't see those hickeys yesterday. We don't have to talk about it since you're gay and won't get anyone pregnant. Just be safe". I laughed at how bad the timing was. He was able to laugh too. We both shared a shot before I went to get ready. Normally he'll keep me far away from alcohol, other than wine, but today is an exception. I sat down in the shower not having the energy to hold my weight. I let the warm water run down my face and wash away all of my emotions. I listened to the sound of the shower hitting the tub and my body, focusing on that only.

I don't really know what I was putting on; frankly I didn't care. I remember putting on a thin circle scarf and that's all. I washed my face not bothering to shave.