Chapter 28

Jess

After my escape at the coffee shop I expected Chad to be at my home sooner rather than later, but it took him a whole five hours. Maybe he was just catching up with Roman, that is one of his good friends after all.

I heard his footsteps walking towards me after he opened my door, not waiting for my answer to his knocks. "You know, some would say it's rude to just barge into someone's house". I still didn't look at him, but I could just feel the smile coming off of him with his snide remark.

"You know some would say it's rude to run away from me when I'm chasing after you". I finally did look at him with an apology resting on my face.

"I really am sorry about that I was just - mad, and stressed, and , and I don't really know". I rubbed my eyes as he lifted my feet off of the couch and into his lap so that he could sit opposite of me on the same couch.

"I know, don't worry about it" I could feel him start to massage my feet and I looked at him funnily.

"You know, I'm not too fond of people touching my feet". He rolled his eyes and continued anyways, it actually did feel quite good. I relaxed a bit and let him do as he pleased.

"Jess?"

"Hmm?"

I could feel his hesitation and I just wanted him to answer already. "How much do you still care about him?" I sighed heavily not knowing how to answer without offending him. I know that he already knows the answer so it's best that I don't lie, but I don't want to tell the truth either, it'll just hurt the both of us, but that's what I have to do.

"A lot, but right now I don't think we'll ever be a thing again". I could feel his fingers massage deeper into my feet, it felt nice, but I knew that it also came with his aggression. "Are you going to say something?" I questioned after a long amount of silence.

"What am I supposed to say?" I looked down at the mug of hot chocolate in my hands not sure if I even wanted him to answer.

"I don't know, what you're feeling maybe?" He stopped massaging my feet and rested back into the couch.

"I know you care about him, and he cares about you, but - I just want a chance. I care about you too, and I don't want to know that I'll never even have a fair chance. I want to spend my time with you happily, but you aren't happy". I bit my lip not having a response. I'm not unhappy, but I've just gotten out of whatever odd relationship Derek and I had, and I'm not just going to be able to fully give myself to Chad when part of me still wants Derek.

Once he stood up to leave I knew I had to stop him, I couldn't let him go like this. I still want Chad in my life. "Wait", I grabbed his arm not letting him go. "You have to understand that no it's not a fair chance right now, but it is a chance. I'm not unhappy with you, it's actually quite nice to spend time with you. Don't leave just- stay. Spend time with me." He turned around and cupped my face in his hand, he gently kissed my forehead before hugging me.

"Can we go over my house?"

"Um, Chad I'm not-"

"Don't worry, I don't intend to do anything of that sort, but I just don't feel comfortable here right now, so can we please go over my house". I could see the pleading in his eyes, and I immediately felt bad for judging him.

"Yea, of course". I feel stupid for automatically assuming that he wanted to have sex with me.

"It's getting late, you should call and tell your father". I rolled my eyes, he's trying to be a gentleman. It's working.