Chapter 10

Claire parked in the small parking garage attached to our rather large apartment building. I quickly got out and opened the back door to grab my bags and Mike got out the other side. I walked around to meet him with Claire behind me "it's so good to be home" I looked around at everything, all familiar and Mike smiled down at me.

The three of us walked into our building and into the elevator. I pushed the button for the eighth floor and we were moving.

"Dakota finally came to get his stuff last week" Claire said once the elevator doors closed.

"Seriously? It took that long?" I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

She laughed a little "yeah, you'll never guess who he's back with?"

"Janelle I'd assume" I started laughing. Janelle was Dakota's girlfriend before me, who he also cheated on me with.

"So Dakota's you're ex boyfriend, right?" Mike asked as the elevator stopped and opened.

"Yeah" I pulled my bag onto my shoulder more and we walked out of the elevator "he was such a waste"

We started down the hallway with dark red walls and a long brown rug laying on the floor "why'd you stay with him so long then?" Mike asked.

"Companionship, something to miss while I was on the road" I shrugged "but that was when we first started going out, once I made more for myself I guess I just didn't have the heart to break up with him"

"Makes sense sorta" we stopped at our door and Claire had to dig for her key.

"Sorta?" I looked up at Mike.

"Just, if you weren't happy I don't get why you wouldn't of gotten out of the relationship" I laughed a little and intertwined both our free hands.

"Well, lucky for you, I don't like to break hearts" he looked down at me and smiled.

"Found it!" Claire exclaimed and I turned my attention back to her. She unlocked and opened the door, and walked in. I smiled and pulled Mike in quickly.

"Welcome!" I turned to him with my arms now in the air as if I'm modeling my home.

He looked at me and smiled so big it made my heart flutter "it's cute"

I took him by the hand again and led him to our very open living room. One big, sectional, leather couch took up the corner farthest from our front door. We walked across the dark, wood floor and I opened the large curtains covering a whole half of the wall lined with windows.

"This is what I love most about our apartment" I told him, staring out at the magnificent view we have of the city.

"Wow" he said.

"Yeah, it's even more beautiful at night" I watched out the windows for a few seconds before spinning around and walking out of the living room. We walked into our kitchen to find Claire and I set my bags on the island next to my sphinx cat, Charlie. I picked him up and held him tight to my chest.

When I turned to Mike he stepped back a little and started laughing "holy shit, I thought you were holding a turkey" Claire started laughing behind me.

"Don't be mean to him" I pet the top of his head and he started to purr "this is Charlie"

"He looks like a little alien" Mike chuckled and scratched Charlie's back "so this is your pet?"

"I have three more" I said excitedly and set Charlie back on the island next to my bag "is Gizzy in her cage?"

"Yeah" Claire nodded "and Luna hadn't ate her food before I left so check on that"