Chapter 18

{200 reads!! Thank you all so much, I know I'm terrible at updating but vote and comment for me to update more frequently ily all ❤️❤️}

The next morning, Mike, Juliet and I were off to my old house where my mother lives. Juliet drove her car with me in the passengers seat and Mike in the back.

When we pulled into the driveway my stomach started to churn. You're just here to make things right, you don't want the same thing that happened with Carter to happen with mom. Is what I kept telling myself as we walked up onto the porch.

"Will she even be home?" I asked, looking back at the empty garage.

"She doesn't have a car." Juliet stated blankly and I just nodded.

She obviously hadn't gotten better since I left, not by the looks of the house. Nothing had been kept up; paint was chipping, half of the porch was staring to sag and there was a missing step.

I knocked on the door and it felt strange. No matter how much I hated it here, it was my home. We lived here with my dad too and those memories of it I'll always have. But I didn't want to just walk in and find her doing god knows what.

I heard the gears of a lock and the door creaked open. I chewed the inside of my cheek as my mother stepped out. Her face was sunken in with dark circles around each of her pale blue eyes, her once thick and beautiful black hair hung down in thin strands.

"Addie, hi baby" she smiled weakly and went to hug me. I tensed up with her arms around me but did the same to her.

"I only came here to tell you that I'm sorry to hear about Carter" I said sternly "and I wanted to make sure you were doing okay"

Her face fell but she nodded "oh yeah, I'm doing okay" she quickly changed the subject "who's this?" She looked up at Mike who was standing behind me.

"This is my boyfriend, Mike." I said quickly. I didn't move for her to shake his hand or anything because she was no one worth formally meeting.

"You're obviously not here to show him off or apologize so what's the point Addison?" She snapped, seeming to be fed up with my short attitude.

"You want me to apologize?" I narrowed my eyes at her "what the fuck do I possibly have to apologize to you about?"

"Leaving without a word to anyone, do you know what you put us through-"

"I'm not here to start a fight about this. You're lucky I came at all" I spoke through clenched teeth then turned and trudged off the porch. Mike and Juliet quickly followed me to the car and we drove off.

I rolled down the window and lit a cigarette "I told you to just not see her" Juliet said.

"How often do you see her?" I took a drag off my cigarette.

"I bring over some groceries every few weeks" she shrugged "Harley goes over with me usually"

"Are they living back here? I wanna see them too" I said, talking about our other two bothers.

She nodded "they both live pretty close, but uh.." She trailed off.

"What?" I glanced over at her.

"The cemetery's right up here" she said.

"I wanna go there first" I stated.

A few minutes later she pulled into the cemetery I remember running away to and spending nights at in the months after my fathers death.

When she stopped I opened the door before looking back at Mike "I'll be right back"

He nodded with a knowing look and I stepped out, closing the door behind me. A breeze blew my smoke back at me as I walked past headstones. I ran my free hand over each one as I passed, some were growing moss or had cracks run down the middle. Others looked glossy and brand new, even if the dates read 1903-1965. It was strange how some older ones looked newer than others and I wondered the reason for it.

I stopped in front of two stones with "Wren" engraved in big letters. On one was "Darryl T. Wren" and the other "Carter T. Wren". A small picture was on each and flowers littered around both, as well as many flags.

I stood for a good few minutes starring at the still growing grass over Carter's grave. It made me sick to think what was just underneath me. I closed my eyes to stop the tears from spilling out but it didn't help. I watched as they fell to the ground beneath me.

I reached in my back pocket to pull out a crinkled envelope and carefully set it in front of the grave.

"Er- I don't really know if you can hear me, or if I'm just talking to myself" I spoke softly out load, not feeling comfortable at all "but either way I'm not good at talking, but writing is my strong suite. So I just wrote this to you, I'm so sorry for everything" my voice broke at the end of my sentence and I set a grape cigar on my fathers grave "I also brought you this, I know it's been awhile"

They were always his favorite. When I was younger I could easily steal them and I would bring one to his grave every week. Mysteriously they were gone every time I went back. Whether it was someone else taking them or some ghostly force, I'll never know.

"Love you guys" I said quietly before turning and slowly walking back to the car.

Short chapter, I'm sorry :( but I'll probably update again today bc MERRY CHRISTMAS YAY