Chapter 15

✖️ "Guilt is the most heartbreaking companion to death" ✖️

One short week after our show in New York, I was back in my hometown. We were on our way to a venue I had snuck out to see many concerts at when I was younger. Mike slept on my bus with me the night we left the state we were in before Wisconsin.

I woke up before anyone and snuck out of the bunk quietly. I was currently sat at the table in the back lounge staring out a open window blankly, holding a cigarette between my fingers.

I heard shuffling near me and looked to see Jeremy, shirtless, sitting across from me "you okay?" He asked softly.

I gave him a halfhearted smile and nodded "yeah, just a little edgy"

"You're edgy alright, look at all those tattoos" he chuckled, lightening the mood a little. I laughed and smiled like only Jeremy can make me when I'm upset "there's my best friend's beautiful smile"

He stood up and wrapped his arms around my shoulders "thanks" I said and hugged him with my arms around his neck, still sitting down.

"It'll be okay, don't stress over anything. You do this every time and nothing happens" he said, standing to his full hight.

"I know, I know I'll be fine" I put the cigarette I had that burned out in the ashtray and stood up.

The motion of the bus stopped and I looked out the window to see we had arrived. I slumped my shoulders and Jeremy nudged me with his "go get your boyfriend up, do something and distract yourself" I kissed his cheek before starting toward the bunks "and I don't mean fucking!"

I pulled back the curtain to my bunk and Mike threw the entire blanket over his head "close that damn thing" he mumbled from underneath and I giggled.

"C'mon sleepy head, get up" I saw one tired brown eye poke out, then another.

"Why?" He rasped and I pulled the blanket down more so his neck was exposed now.

"Because, I wanna go get breakfast" I gave him the best puppy dog eyes I could with my bottom lip stuck out.

"Okay, I guess" he sighed dramatically and swung his long legs over the side.
I pecked his lips once his feet were on the floor and he smiled tiredly.

I went in the bathroom with some clothes to get dressed and when I came out Mike was fixing a SnapBack on his head. He wore a plain black tank top and a pair of camouflage pattern shorts, a jean vest was over the tank top.

I smiled when I walked up to him "ready?"

"I am" he nodded and the two of us walked off the bus, hand in hand. "How ya feeling?" He asked after a few minutes of holding my shaky hand.

I shrugged "a little anxious, but I'm okay" I told him that I was always nervous coming back to where I was raised, and he still didn't push me to tell him anymore, thankfully.

******************

"Okay, play a c chord and we're done" said our guitar tech, Johnny. I did as he said and strummed the chord, hearing the sound I expected made me smile "sounds good, you guys are on in two minutes"

I walked over to Mike, who was talking to Neil, with my guitar strap hung over my shoulder "ready, half-pint?" Neil asked, resting his arm on top of my head.

"Fuck you" I laughed and hit his arm away.

"She's my armrest" Mike chuckled and put his sweaty arm around my shoulders, he just got done performing about ten minutes ago.