five

One Week Later

"Joan!" I exclaimed, running through the house from the garage like a mad person. I quickly sprinted passed Dinah to go into the kitchen to see Joan fixing some pancakes on the stove. "Joan, I'm late. Where's Dad's car?"

Joan deeply sighed and shook her head at the pan in front of her, "I knew I forgot to mention something yesterday. I took the car to the store and the check engine light came on so its in the shop. You'll have to take the bus today."

"The bus?" I replied, "Are you fucking crazy? They'll slaughter me on there."

She slammed her spatula down on the counter and glared at me, "I'm sorry, Y/N, but you have to take the bus. You're not missing school unless you're-"

"I know the speech. You act like I haven't lived here for seventeen years." I groaned.

"Woah," Camila laughed, walking into the kitchen with Dinah close by. "You're not a morning person, are you?"

Joan walked over to grab my bag from the seat at the island and pulled me towards the front door. "Now, you have your money and your lunch is in your bag. Oh, almost forgot. Your father will be buying the mall out for you and the girls this weekend. He thinks it'll help you make better acquaintances with them."

"A mall?" I raised my eyebrow, "Don't you think that's a little extreme?"

"'Nothing but the best for my baby girl.' In his words, of course." Joan smiled, leaning in to kiss my temple. "Now off
you go and don't let that Donny girl get the best of you. Okay, Hun?" I nodded, and walked out of the door after she opened it for me.

The bright yellow bus pulled up and the doors opened to me. I took a deep breath before grabbing the bar and stepping up into the vehicle. My eyes shot to the very back where I saw Donny holding hands with Cara. They were the premiere couple of the school and no one dared to try and get between them. Even though I've heard a few rumors that Cara gets around.

Donny had a huge smile on her face as she sat up straight in her seat. I rolled my eyes and took the first empty seat the front. My problem wasn't being called a 'nerd' for not sitting in the back like a regular kid. My problem was having my ass handed to me before I could even get to first period.

The doors closed behind me and the bus started moving on the streets again. I pulled out my notebook and began writing out some homework I neglected to do last night. Mostly because Camila wouldn't stop arguing with me over the fact that there's Yellow Watermelon.

A hand clutched on my shoulder, making me tense up. I turned in a startled manner to see Donny staring me down from the seat behind me.

"Daddy's car couldn't bring you to school today, Princess?" She mocked.

I reached into my bag to grab her twenty dollar bill, "Can you just leave me alone today, Donny?" She snatched it from me quickly. "I really don't feel good."

She used her hand to harshly push my head into the seat in front of me. "Do I look like I give a fuck?" After a small, evil chuckle, she walked back to her seat, high-fiving a few people on her way. She tried to pull Cara's hand back into her lap, but the smaller girl seemed a little upset now.

The bus always abnormally quiet. Well, I've never been on a school bus before, but they seem louder in movies. It felt so weird and subtle. I have never wanted to get to school faster.

--

Classes ended and luckily lunch was only beginning. Even though I never really are with anyone at lunch, I always knew about the perfect spot in the courtyard. No one ever walked by and if they did it would just be to get to their locker.