fifteen

I ran away to the mall to check out on getting some ice cream at the food court then I planned on walking around to see if there was anything I wanted at the small surrounding shops.

I usually hated the mall because the only one near me is also near to my school. So, a lot of the kids work at that mall. But I would rather stay as far away from my house as possible today.

I was walking down the pathway on the second floor to go into hot topic. I started filing through hangers with different shirts hanging on it. Someone quickly approached me wearing the store's merchandise as an employee. Max. At least that's what his name tag said. I looked up to see a guy with green eyes, wearing a slight bit of eyeliner. "Could I help you with anything?"

I smiled down and looked at the tag on the leather jacket. $140. Pocket change. "Do you have a basket or anything? I haven't got to use this little birthday card my Dad gave me."

"Yeah, sure." He said, his voice was nice deep tone. More soothing than my Uncle Seth's. "I'll be right back." I grabbed a few shirts, and continued to look at the wall of previews. He soon came back with a grocery store basket they spray painted black. "I guess you can just fill it up, and if you need help for the high things, I'll be over there." I nodded. He seemed harmless.

I turned back and started looking through the shirts and found a clearance spot of miscellaneous items sprawled out under the red tags. I was about to pick up a necklace and my phone started vibrating in my bag. I quickly rummaged to find it so I could see who's texting me. I knew I went MIA, but I didn't want people to think I was dead.

A name popped up.

4:24 PM

Lauren: wow. very clever. I thought you were never coming in. I just realized you hadn't been in the kitchen. I've been in the living room watching pity tv with my mom

Y/N: who told you I wasn't ?

Lauren: Camila came into the room and asked if I had seen you. And I went, "She didn't come in from the garage?"

Y/N: did you do one of those dramatic hops over the couch to sprint towards the garage to find the car missing ? I would've paid to see it.

Lauren: c'mon kid. it's not time to act like this. your dad is gonna be here tomorrow. you gotta get your act together.

Y/N: my act is together, Lauren. I will be home later.

Lauren: whatever.

I rolled my eyes and put my phone away. I just didn't want to be in that house. Not at all. It's not my place to step in and hang out. This is their families. I've gotten between all of them enough.

I just wanted to leave this store so I took the things I already had and went to the cash register. I almost slammed the basket onto the table which made him quickly look up at me. "So, do you live in this big city or are you just touring?"

I was glad he wasn't some fangirl of the girls. Two days ago, I got attacked at a store because someone recognized me as 'The Bitch Who Took Fifth Harmony Away'. He wouldn't know about me unless he was a fourteen year old bisexual who occasionally plays sports. That made me feel safe enough to just lie. "No, I'm just touring. My Dad had some business trips here recently."

Max began ringing up my items and placing them in a medium sized black bag. "Oh, yeah. Well, you just don't look like people around here."