twenty-five

A day or two later, the hospital released me to go home. It wasn't that I was excited to go home, but I was nervous. The girls had been acting so weird lately, Joan had gone missing in action, Dad wasn't around after a day or two, everything was still so sketchy and I didn't want to be in any type of weird environment. See, my house is my safe haven, my bat cave, my happy place. It's something I go to when I need to get away from the big world run by society. Or it was.

When I arrived in my room, it was wrecked. Strips of white sheets covered the ceiling, the walls, my bed. A giant piece of colored paper was taped to my wall with giant signitures by Dinah and Camila. I didn't hesitate to yell as soon as I saw the names. "DINAH JANE AND CAMILA CABELLO. COME HERE!"

I stood at the top of the stairs and watched as two girls slowly made it up the stairs with big smiles on their faces. I crossed my arms and stared them down as they finally made it to my floor.

"What's the problem?" Camila asked with a slight snicker at the end of her sentence.

I rolled my eyes at the girls and asked unbelievingly, "Okay. That's what we're gonna do? We're gonna pretend like you know nothing? Fine. Let's start with question number one." I took a big breath because I didn't really want to play their games. It was a cute joke but I didn't like a mess in my room when I couldn't exactly clean all of this up on my own. "Why did you toilet paper my room?"

" It's been this way for like a week. Right, Cheech? 'Cause you played that prank on me at the hospital." Camila smirked.

Dinah nodded, "I completely forgot about it until Camila said something on our way home from the hospital."

"Well, good revenge prank, but I'm gonna need some help cleaning this up."

Camila and Dinah looked at each other and frowned with the exact same expression. "If I would've known we had to clean it up, I wouldn't have wasted so much toilet paper."

The bedroom door swung open and a loud gasp erupted. I swung my head to see a surprised Ally trying to cover her gaping mouth with her hands. "You guys! You realize we're still gonna use this toilet paper, right?"

"I mean, I'm rich, Alls. We don't really have to use THIS toilet paper. There's like 8,000 rolls of this in the basement."

Their eyes shot wide open and Camila happily yelled out, "Let's start ripping!" She bolted towards a low strip of toilet paper to pull off a white piece.
Dinah jumped onto the bed and pulled pieces off that she placed high against a thumb tack to hang them up.

Ally frowned and walked up to me to bend down and get a big pile of T.P. When she got up, she looked me in the eyes and walked closer to whisper, "Can I see you in the hallway?"

I nodded and tried not to pay attention to the other two girls who were already singing as they ripped off toilet paper in their own way. I grabbed the door handle and slowly moved the door to close it quiet enough that Dinah and Camila wouldn't hear it.

Ally's arms were crossed and she sighed out, "Lauren said she wants to talk to you."

"Right now?"

She nodded.

"Well, I have to help those two fools." A loud song played in the distance and I figured it was probably the girls who had started playing music on my speakers by now. "Speaking of which, they've probably broken into my liquor cabinet and started a party by the sounds of it."

Ally ignored the quick liquor joke I made but plainly focused on what she had going on in her mind.  As a matter of fact, I don't even think she heard my subtlety. What ever was bugging her just blurted out of her mouth, "Has Lauren said any thing to you..... about, oh, I don't know, what happened with her eyes?"