twenty-four

30 MINUTES AGO

LAUREN'S POV

Everything was so foggy. I could barely see my own hand in front of my face let alone someone else's features.

The hospital put me through a few tests. Colors and shapes were pretty easy, but it was reading that really hurt me internally. I couldn't do it. Hell, I could barely tell you what was sitting on my lunch tray from the meal the hospital supplied me.

The doctor and the rest of the girls left me alone for a while because they could all tell I was growing aggravated of my failing sight. I was scared and upset. I didn't like the combination of the two.

My other senses were heightened and I could hear the door click open. "Hello?" I said to the figure in the doorway.

"I'm sorry to startle you, Ms. Jauregui." The woman said, closing the door behind her as she walked in. "I'm the Doctor they sent in to get a second opinion."

I leaned back on the uncomfortable bed and sighed out, "Well, go ahead and do what you have to do."

I heard her footsteps get closer as she stepped in front of my bed to pick something up to look over it. My guess would be that it was my clipboard, but at this point I didn't care what it was.

"So apparently, what has caused this is the fact that you got hit in the head?" The doctor questioned me in an unbelieving tone. "Is that correct?"

Simon and I have already made up a lie that I have to stick to so I sighed and answered the woman. "Yes. My friend's father was coming into the room and I was standing in the way of the door so he hit me."

The lady put down the object in her hand to reach in her pocket to pull something else out. "Open your eyes wide." She ordered me and I followed her instructions and did what I could to keep my eyes open as she clicked on a flashlight.  The bright light was easy to see but knowing where the light was coming from exactly was the struggle. The doctor muttered to herself a little bit before asking me, "Now where did you hit your head?"

I lifted my hand to my bruised temple and she examined the wound with her fingers and flashlight. The slight touch of the sensitive skin made me wince, but I quickly recovered when she stopped touching the injury. Soon, she pressed the button to turn off the light and picked the clipboard back up to begin writing on the papers.

"So, what's wrong with me, Doc?"

I heard her scribble and etch onto the paper a little bit before she decided to speak to me. "Well, my second opinion really just confirms the first one. You have amaurosis fugax, Ms. Jauregui."

"Can you speak in English instead of Doctor?"

The lady laughed, "Although you have pretty green eyes, you won't be able to completely use them for the duration of, hm, let's give you about three months at the most."

"So, I'm blind?"

"Only temporarily." She told me
calmly. "It's not that I see physical damage to your eye, but this is like Myopia."

"I'm kind of getting annoyed with all of these medical words." I groaned. I would've rolled my eyes, but what's the point in those dramatics anymore?

"It means your vision blurs at a distance. Sadly, in your case, the distance is short." She scribbled a little more onto the page and sighed out. "I can let you leave now but I need you to see an optometrist tomorrow. Do you have anyone here with you?"

"Everyone I know is upstairs visiting my friend in her room."

"Do you want one of the orderlies to get you in a wheel chair to go see your friend?"