Chapter Seventeen: Child, Child, Do You Not See?

Music is "A Lost World" by James Paget.

Picture is Stark Tower in Avengers.

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

"Child, child, do you not see?
For each of us comes
a time when we must be
more than what we are."

-Lloyd Alexander

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

The trip to Stark Tower couldn't end fast enough. The whooshing of the automatic doors behind the Avengers and I was a sound I thought I'd never hear again. If it weren't for Vision's continual decay, I don't think I would have.

Tony is quick to send Vision up on a hovering machine of him from the second we walk through the door. He has him sent to his lab, where we now stand. "If you lay a single finger on him, I will make certain you never have children," were the first words Wanda said to him, eyes glowing red as she stands firm between a resting Vision and Tony.

Tony nods. "Don't worry. No harm will come to him. He was my friend, too, you know." With a sad look, Tony lead us to his lab. "Again, don't worry. I made sure no one knows you're here. You won't be arrested until we're all finished."

"I am surprised," Pietro mumbles.

"You know," Tony says in an annoyed tone of voice, "I do try to keep my word, Sonic."

Pietro crosses his arms, and I lay a hand on his shoulder, shaking my head at him. "We need him," I whisper. "No fighting."

Pietro nods, still looking at Tony suspiciously as he has the robots rest Vision on a long operating table. "We will be watching everything you do," Wanda warns Tony, standing beside her love. "I will know if any malicious thought crosses your mind."

"Sabrina, that happens at least once every five minutes," Tony smirks. "Don't take it seriously. Even my mind is sarcastic."

She rolls her eyes. "Do you know what's wrong with him?" Nat asks. "I saw some pretty vicious code going through his systems. I couldn't figure out what it was, but it looked familiar-"

Pietro pulls me aside, right outside the labs as Clint, Nat, Wanda, and Tony discuss Vision's situation. "What is it?" I ask, looking up at him.

"What were you and the Professor discussing when you arrived back at the Mansion?" he asks, voice low and quiet.

"He said he had some things to give me."

"What kind of things? I heard your conversation from your earpiece. Even if we do not speak over it, it records everything. I know of this other Glory and what happened to her."

I smirk. "Aren't you happy there is only one of me? Well, if you spied on my conversation, you know that he wanted to give me the diaries from Gloria. She wrote about her dreams and her interpretations. Professor Xavier thought it was time I have them in case they would come in handy."

"Did you read through them?" Pietro asks, leaning against the wall with arms crossed.

I shake my head no. "I didn't get the chance. We had to get here and get Vision fixed. I will later, though."

Pietro nods, smiling a bit at me. "Two of you, evil parents, Civil War, Superhuman Registration Acts, paradoxes, gods, aliens, parallel universes, cosmic stones, an island of mutant slaves." He sighs and leans his head against the wall, "We need a vacation."

I chuckle and take his hand in mine. "We need to get married before we have a vacation. I'm tired of being engaged. It's getting pretty old."

He laughs and kisses my forehead. "Soon, I promise. Once the twins are born and my father stops being such a mutant terrorist."