Chapter Thirty-Five: A Desperate Urge To Live

Music is "Icarus" by Ivan Torrent.

Picture is Jane Levy as Glory Northern.

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

"It is the hallmark of youth to suffer an inexplicable and desperate urge to die. It is the hallmark of adulthood to feel a desperate urge to live."

- Jennifer Vanderbes, The Secret of Raven Point

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

Two recommendations from the author this update: Black Widow: Forever Red by Margaret Stohl & The Secret of Raven Point by Jennifer Vanderbes. (Actual books)

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

By the time I arrive at the metal pod that is still flying at hundreds of miles per hour, I can hear the oxygen alarms going off. "Warning: Oxygen levels low, four percent." The automated voice warns against the oxygen that is slipping away.

Through the small window, I can see my mother has passed out from lack of breathing. Her face is paler than usual, and it scares me to think that I might be too late.

"Hold on, Mom," I whisper to myself, flying to the far end of the pod to push it back towards Earth. "I got you."

With a push with my powers and some help from my distance manipulation, it takes only a quarter as long to get her back to the surface of Earth than it did for me to rush after her. She needs to get to a hospital, so I don't stop until I find one: Washington General Hospital.

"Help!" I shout, carrying my mother in my arms through the emergency entrance doors. "I need help!"

One of the nurses rushes over to me, checking Rebecca's pulse immediately. "You're Glory Northern, right? The Avenger?"

I nod. "This is my mother. Please, make sure she's okay."

"What happened to her?"

"She was cut off from her oxygen. It's a long story, just make sure she's okay. Please."

The nurse gets help, having my mother be put on a stretcher as her aid wheels her away towards a hospital room. "We'll do everything we can." She nods towards the door. "Go. I promise I'll look after her personally. Just keep Washington safe from that madman." She smiles. "For what it's worth, I still believe in the Avengers."

"Thanks. Days like these... I needed to hear that." With a curt nod and one last look towards the head of greying red hair that leaves my sight, I kick off the ground, hovering out the door and into the open air.

Erik will pay for putting my family in danger. He will pay for hurting my mother, and I swear to God, if he's laid one finger on either my sister or father... I will kill him myself.

Minutes tick by as I fly back to Asteroid M, the sight of the flying city ablaze. The sky is on fire with the Iron-Ultron suits blasting away at it, aiming for my friends. A few turn their aim towards me as I come back into range. With a thrust of my fist, and a jolt to a halt forty thousand feet in the air, I fire multiple blasts at them, causing one to fall to the ground below. It explodes on impact, but the others are still flying towards me.

Just as they get close enough to do some serious damage, a fist pushes through their chest plate from the other side. Carol Danvers floats on the other side, tossing the Iron-Ultron to the side like it's garbage. With a sigh and smile of relief, I push my helmet back onto my head, the thin air causing me to see dark spots in my vision. "Thanks, Carol. That was a close one."