Chapter Twenty-Eight: We Are Our Choices

Music is "Is She With You?" by Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL from the Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice score. (Because Diana is a badass and I LOVE her theme from DoJ)

Picture is Prison 42 cells in the Negative Zone from the Captain America: Civil War trailer.

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

"We are our choices."

- J. P. Sartre

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

Recommendation from the audience: None this week.

Recommendation from the author: Actual Civil War comics. Go read 'em before the movie, guys!

Send in your recommendation of your book to possibly be featured in next week's chapter!

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

"What do you mean he's coming for us?" I ask, fear and confusion rising in my heart as I help Lorna from the floor of her cell. "We haven't heard a peep from him or his Brotherhood in almost four months."

"That is because he has been planning," she gulps, trying to breathe properly despite her anxiety. "Planning and scheming. He has Ultron working for him, but Ultron has corrupted his mind with thoughts of a world made pure of homosapiens. They both want one thing-"

"A world without humans," I mumble, my thoughts going to every comic, every movie, every show I've ever watched with Erik Lensherr in it. People always died. "My God." I turn to Lorna, placing my hands on her shoulders and looking her directly in the eyes. "Lorna, you have to tell me what they're planning. Do you know?"

"We are too late," she cries, a crazy laugh slipping out. "He has you exactly where he wants you. With you and Tony fighting, he is free to slip in between the cracks and destroy everything. Glory, he is coming for you all, and he will not stop until the Avengers are dead. Then he will go for the X-Men, then America, then the world. Nothing will satisfy him. Nothing."

"Nothing short of the planet." I look up, looking around at the chaos as the others on my team blast people from their cells. "Okay, Lorna, listen to me. I need your help to get out."

"What are you planning?" she asks, walking beside me with a small limp. "I cannot help you. Tony made me powerless." She holds up her hands, and around her wrists are metal cuffs. "I cannot use my powers."

"I have a friend who can help with that," I reply, smiling at her. "Kamala!"

Ms. Marvel rounds the corner, pulling a door off its hinges with her "Embiggen"-ed hands. "Yeah, Glorious?"

"Come here! I need your help!"

The young Inhuman rushes over to Lorna and I, asking, "What's up?"

"Can you break her cuffs?" Lorna shows Ms. Marvel her cuffs.

Kamala laughs, taking the cuffs in her hands. "Watch this." She Embiggens her hands once more, tearing the cuffs in half with her super strength. "There. Good as new."

Lorna rubs her wrists, then flexes them, her powers coming back to life. She smiles as the door to her cell lifts off the floor. "Thank you, Ms. Marvel."

Kamala grins like a happy teen. "No problem! Come, help us get some of these doors off."

Lorna smiles even bigger, raising her arms towards the doors to the unopened cells. She then makes fists of them, pulling them back behind her sides. The doors creak and pull off the walls. She then takes them and shoves them out into the large room where we came from.