Chapter Twenty-Six: Empty Chairs At Empty Tables

Music is "Captain America: The Winter Soldier Score Suite" by Henry Jackman.

Picture is the Negative Zone from the Captain America: Civil War trailer.

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

"There's a grief that can't be spoken.
There's a pain that goes on and on.
Empty chairs at empty tables,
Now my friends are dead and gone.

Here they talked of revolution.
Here it was they lit the flame.
Here they sang of tomorrow,
And tomorrow never came."

- Les Miserables, Emtpy Chairs At Empty Tables Part 1

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

Recommendation from the audience: "Consequences On Loving You" by erxmthwsxn

Recommendation from the author: "Bucky Barnes x Reader and Steve Rogers x Reader Oneshots" by BeautifulBlues

Send in your recommendation of your book to possibly be featured in next week's chapter!

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

"To quote every Star Wars movie, like ever, I have a bad feeling about this."

"Shut up, Clint. You're not helping."

Ah, best friend super assassins. Gotta love 'em.

The Blackbird hovers above the face of the waters like a ghost in the night, the darkness surrounding it. With the cover of both a Ororo's powers and the nighttime, it's easy to slip onto the surface of the calm Atlantic ocean.

Why the Atlantic ocean? That's where the entrance to the Negative Zone is. It takes a lot of space to create a stable wormhole to another Negative dimension. Reed Richards has been able to keep it open over a large body of water.

The Fantastic Four nearly destroyed the world going to the Negative Zone the first time; playing with powers and machines is dangerous. This lead to one of their colleagues, Victor Von Doom, or Doctor Doom, to be left there for years. When they went back, he was ready for them.

When they defeated Doom and recovered, Tony went to them and funded Reed Richards, Mr. Fantastic, to continue his work in the Negative Zone. Since then, he's been working on a place to keep dangerous mutants and enhanced people, building a gateway and buildings inside, hiring guards, building nearly a city.

I didn't know that he intended to actually use it. I figured it would be a "break in case of emergency" kind of thing. I didn't know Stark planned to make it into a prison.

There's no greater enemy than a friend, I suppose. There lies the biggest obstacle of this mission: who knows you better than a friend?

"We have a problem," Logan says, from the cockpit of the Blackbird. He's hovering over the controls as Scott Summers flies.

"What now?" Bucky and I ask at the same time.

"The door in closed," Logan says, groaning and turning around. "The door to the Negative Zone. It's supposed to be open for a shipment tonight, but for some reason it's not."

"They know we're coming?" Clint asks, looking to Bucky.

He shakes his head. "I don't think so. Nat, what does radar say?"

She shakes her head while looking at the equipment. "Nothing on radar. Nothing on sonar. Just the giant building in the middle of the Atlantic." She smirks at Bucky. "It's just us out here, James."